Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the MacBook Air need antivirus software

We are first time Apple computer owners. I have searched for a simple question, does a MacBook Air need antivirus software? Nowhere have I found a simple yes or no. The information on this forum is too old to trust. I tried searching the web and did not find a straight answer. Could someone please help me?

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2023 5:12 PM

Hi there!

Welcome to the Mac!

Good news - Mac computers do not need any sort of antivirus or cleaning software. Anti-virus and similar types of software can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". The only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

Here are some links that describe Apple's built-in malware protection, which are far superior:

Jack

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2023 5:12 PM in response to ShakaiCR973

Hi there!

Welcome to the Mac!

Good news - Mac computers do not need any sort of antivirus or cleaning software. Anti-virus and similar types of software can cause performance issues, security issues, and make macOS appear buggy. Your Mac is worse with these types of Apps installed.

In addition, Mac computers cannot get any traditional "viruses". The only area of concern is some malware, mostly adware, and it's easily avoidable. Do not install apps from unknown sources, and you'll be safe!

Here are some links that describe Apple's built-in malware protection, which are far superior:

Jack

Mar 4, 2023 6:12 PM in response to ShakaiCR973

ShakaiCR973 wrote:

We are first time Apple computer owners.

Welcome. It's about time, wouldn't you say?

It can be very difficult for former Windows users to become comfortable with the fact that Macs do not need and cannot benefit from third party "anti-virus" products. In fact they are among the worst products to install on Macs. If not for Windows and former Windows users' insistence upon installing such junk the complaints on this site would be diminished by half, at least.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community might lend some perspective on the subject.

Does the MacBook Air need antivirus software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.