Hiding scores in MLS

Is there any way of setting my MLS section on Apple TV to NOT show the scores? I want to be able yo watch the games on delay without knowing the results. If I want to know the results I can go to MLSSoccer.com. Don’t need to use Apple TV to get results.

QTQ80,

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 9:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 11:37 AM

Another Timbers fan here, just wanted to chime in and say how frustrating the entire interface design is. Even when you can hide the scores you still have to navigate through thumbnails showing all the highlights of the game before you can even get to the full match replay, which for some reason is all the way at the bottom of the screen. I have to partially block the screen with my hand to avoid seeing them, which is far from ideal. I can’t always watch games live, but as it stands the service is almost useless for watching match replays. Or, when you do link to the game you want to watch from the main screen, for some reason it defaults to offering you ‘match highlights’. Then you still have to go to the bottom of the screen (scrolling past highlight thumbnails), then long press to select ‘full match replay’. It’s wild. Is it so hard to create a spoiler free front end with icons that lead directly to the full match replay? It’s such poor interface design it almost seems deliberate. Hope they fix this soon! I’m genuinely considering canceling the service. It was not an issue in previous seasons on their prior streaming service.

27 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 11:37 AM in response to Timbers_Fan

Another Timbers fan here, just wanted to chime in and say how frustrating the entire interface design is. Even when you can hide the scores you still have to navigate through thumbnails showing all the highlights of the game before you can even get to the full match replay, which for some reason is all the way at the bottom of the screen. I have to partially block the screen with my hand to avoid seeing them, which is far from ideal. I can’t always watch games live, but as it stands the service is almost useless for watching match replays. Or, when you do link to the game you want to watch from the main screen, for some reason it defaults to offering you ‘match highlights’. Then you still have to go to the bottom of the screen (scrolling past highlight thumbnails), then long press to select ‘full match replay’. It’s wild. Is it so hard to create a spoiler free front end with icons that lead directly to the full match replay? It’s such poor interface design it almost seems deliberate. Hope they fix this soon! I’m genuinely considering canceling the service. It was not an issue in previous seasons on their prior streaming service.

Jul 15, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Timbers_Fan

If you are watching on Apple TV, and have a voice activated remote, say “Settings“, which will take you to the global Settings screen. Choose “Apps”, then “TV”. The second item in that TV menu is “Show Sports Scores“, which is probably set to “On”. Click to toggle it “Off” and close out. Back in the Season Pass area, you should find that the previously recorded game panels no longer display the final score before you select them. Hope this helps!

Apr 18, 2023 8:12 PM in response to soccerdevil87

Thanks for offering a patch script soccerdevil87, but I'm still seeing past scores in the thumbnails and the next page for a specific match. I think I followed the plugin guide and copied your text correctly, though I haven't typed HTML code in a couple decades.

As noted by others, this broken/design feature ruins the entire experience. Zero stars. And thank you Urquhart1244 for patiently reminding us to submit user feedback to Apple in addition to griping in this thread.

I hope this can be resolved within days/weeks, rather than years/seasons. If the latter, perhaps MLS will consider a different coverage provider that can manage not to spoil ALL of their content before users can view it. Thanks for the support.

Mar 25, 2023 10:04 PM in response to Timbers_Fan

Echoing others that the default interface needs to be no scores for live or completed games and you need to be able to navigate to replays of completed games without encounters scores or highlights of that game. Unless you're actively trying to discourage asynchronous viewing? Which would be really dumb. This is basic stuff and failure to fix it will cost you renewals next year, guaranteed.

Mar 8, 2023 12:39 PM in response to Urquhart1244

This is a default that needs to go away immediately. The score should not be visible on anything that someone might have to see. It needs to be fixed for the home screen also. It has already ruined matches for me. What is the point of being able to catch the match an hour or two late after my kids soccer game only to have the app tell me the outcome before I hit play? Please remove this or at least create the option to remove it whole sale with my own setting changes.

Mar 19, 2023 6:14 AM in response to Timbers_Fan

Chiming in with the others. Default should be to not show scores. How many people want to see the score of the game they're about to watch? Subscribers without an iphone don't even have the option to hide them when using the website on PC or Android. Are you seriously trying to force every person who wants to watch mls on their phone to buy an iphone so they can change this setting?

Apr 3, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Timbers_Fan

This is very frustrating and the type of behavior that makes it seem like Apple isn't interested in the open web or feature parity for those of us not on Apple devices.

In the mean time, I was able to write some custom CSS that I installed on my browser (I use the Custom Style Script add-on) to hide all the scores I could find. There might be one or two I missed, but this covers most of the screens:

Site: https://tv.apple.com

.epic-stage-metadata-title__score,
.lockup-overlay__sports-score__score__team,
.product-header--sport-event__scoreboard__score {
    display: none !important;
}

I hope this helps a few of you until Apple fixes this for those of us watching in a browser.

Apr 13, 2024 6:40 PM in response to Timbers_Fan

I really hope Apple removes the scores from completed games and games that are in progress. No other streaming services show the score of games on their apps. No one wants to know the score before starting the game. I can't even count how many times I've logged into the app to watch a game and then see the score and close it out. Apple would never display the ending of their shows and movies on AppleTV+ prior to people watching them. I'm not sure why they're doing it for MLS games. It ruins the viewing experience.

Hiding scores in MLS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.