Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Arrow and tab keys and screen navigation not working properly

Some one else has posted a comment about their arrow keys working like a tab key.

Attached is an image of navigation in Airmail as an example

• I click in the mailbox area and the area is highlighted by the blue border.
  • I click on the 'Drafts' folder
  • I click the arrow keys up and down, the 'Drafts' folder stays highlighted (as per the screen shot) and the other folders acknowledge the arrow movement, but the highlighted drafts folder stays highlighted
  • Only manually clicking the other folders has the same effect as I would expect the arrow key to do.

I previously had a 16" Mac that I spilt a drink into and to cut a long story short, I reinstalled the MacOS and was welcomed by this new behaviour. So thinking I had terminal Mac damage bought a brand new M2 Mac.

Imagine how disappointed I was to find it exhibited exactly the same behaviour.

I can't believe other users haven't experienced the same problem. I'm guessing a MacOS problem is at heart.

Annoying

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 5:07 AM

Go to your Accessibility preferences and make sure that Full Keyboard Access is turned OFF.

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 7, 2023 2:09 PM in response to kit4short

Greetings Kit4short,

We understand that the arrow keys are not working as expected. To clarify, does this issue only occur when using AirMail or does it occur with other apps as well? To ensure that we're in the same path, do you have Mouse Keys enabled on your Mac as shown here:

"Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac

When you turn on Mouse Keys on your Mac, you can move the mouse pointer and press the mouse button using the keyboard or a numeric keypad.

The following illustration shows the keys to use on a keyboard (the keys on the left) and on a numeric keypad (the keys on the right) when Mouse Keys is on.

Keys that move the mouse pointer when Mouse Keys is on.

Note: When Mouse Keys is on, you can’t use the keyboard or a numeric keypad to enter text.

• Move the mouse pointer:
  • With a numeric keypad: Use the 7, 8, 9, 4, 6, 1, 2, 3 keys on the keypad. 
  • With the keyboard: Use the 7, 8, 9, U, O, J, K, L keys.
  • Click a mouse button:
  • With a numeric keypad: Press 5 on the keypad. 
  • With the keyboard: Press I.
  • Press and hold the mouse button:
  • With a numeric keypad: Press 0 (zero) on the keypad. 
  • With the keyboard: Press M.
  • Release the mouse button:
  • With a numeric keypad: Press “.” (period) on the keypad.
  • With the keyboard: Press “.” (period)."

More details here: Control the pointer using Mouse Keys on Mac

We also suggest reviewing the resource, "Mac accessibility shortcuts," and let us know which feature you're using. We'll use these details to determine the next best steps to take. We look forward to your reply.

Cheers.

Mar 7, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Grace2211

Ok, so firstly, this is a general Mac problem that was first realised when I upgraded to the latest OS on my previous 16" Mac and is exactly the same on my brand new M2 15" Mac.

The scenario I have explained occurs in all apps and I only used Airmail as an example.

I also tried the Mouse keys, but all that does is stops you typing the representative mouse keys, for example the 'o' neither moves the mouse or allows you to type an 'o' anymore.

To try and illustrate what is actually happening, I'll record a screen video and upload it to YouTube

Thanks

Chris

Arrow and tab keys and screen navigation not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.