Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce MOV video file size??

How do I reduce the file size?

Exporting from Quicktime just makes it LARGER.

Exporting from Adobe Express make it larger also.

??

Posted on Mar 5, 2023 4:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 8:48 PM

For email purposes, I would suggest uploading to a temporary file hosting service, such as WeTransfer or similar. That gives you the option to get a download link to copy into your email message, or to have them send the link to the email address(es) that you enter into their service. Signup is optional. The free tier will be enough. Only people that have the link can see your file(s). [how-to video example]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2023 8:48 PM in response to SoSimpleYet

For email purposes, I would suggest uploading to a temporary file hosting service, such as WeTransfer or similar. That gives you the option to get a download link to copy into your email message, or to have them send the link to the email address(es) that you enter into their service. Signup is optional. The free tier will be enough. Only people that have the link can see your file(s). [how-to video example]

Mar 7, 2023 8:06 AM in response to SoSimpleYet

Ways to reduce any video file size:

• Use a lower bitrate (lower visual quality),
  • Reduce the resolution (less pixels),
  • Reduce the duration (less time),
  • Reduce the frame rate,
  • Use a more efficient codec.

Which to choose depends on your reasons for wanting to reduce the size. There may be better ways, maybe without reducing anything at all (e.g. email a download-link instead of attaching the full file).

Smaller sizes aren’t ‘free’, you have to let go of some information.

• QuickTime uses fixed bitrate presets that it doesn’t show the details of to the user. Not ideal for this goal.
  • 720p files are generally smaller than 1080p files, and often good enough for ‘talking head’ videos and presentations.
  • “Recaps” are edits meant to be short, but still contain the important parts.
  • 24-30 fps is enough for most uses. 48, 60 or even 120 fps is overkill for most uses after editing. Be mindful of the camera settings, and the properties of the first clip added to your editing project.
  • E.g. H.265 HEVC produces much smaller files than H.264 AVC (up to roughly half size), but the recipient must have support for that through modern media player software and modern more powerful hardware.

➔ So, at what size is your source video file now, and at what size would you want it to be? What makes you want change the file size at all? Why is size a constraint for you?

There is other conversion software, that may have settings that allow for indicating a final size, or average bitrate, as a goal (somewhere in that vicinity), and multi-pass encoding to get more precise with that. In these cases, the quality will be somewhat unpredictable, except for experience. Other software may work with a settings for Constant Quality Factor/​Constant Rate Factor, or else named presets (very low, low, medium, high, very high, extreme high quality). I find that I want a certain quality more than any particular size.

Note that any video conversion (re-encoding) is lossy. If done well, then viewers may not notice the very small quality difference.

My favorite conversion software are:

• HandBrake (a GUI for ffmpeg), with a nice balance of options and not being too complicated,
  • ff·Works (a GUI for ffmpeg), with lots of detailed options that may take some getting used to.

Both have presets to load settings bases on what is it that you are encoding for, which should make it much easier for beginners and advanced users alike.

Mar 7, 2023 5:17 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your reply... I merely want/wanted to reduce the size of an MOV file [9.8MB] to make it more compatible for emailing. I thought one of my Adobe CS apps would be appropriate??

Video is not my arena—just want a simple tool with minimal options. I obviously have a lot more to learn!

I did try HandBrake which reduced it a bit [8.4MB].

Mar 10, 2023 12:46 PM in response to Urquhart1244

You are correct that a transfer service is the easy way to go. I do use WeTransfer at work but forget about it sometimes. I'm just surprised there isn't another way to go for quick direct emailing to none computer-savy folks.

I went with the HandBrake reduced file ultimately.

Thanks for your assist......you are so helpful to even include a "how-to"

How to reduce MOV video file size??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.