Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura 13.2.1 - wifi dropping on MBP and Mini

I've got a 2018 MBP and a late 2018 Mac Mini both fully updated to 13.2.1 and both recently intermittently dropping wifi. To the extent that they won't see any wifi networks at all.

The old trick of turning the wifi off and back on works temporarily. I have to go as far as

forgetting the wifi network altogether and rejoining to gain a stable connection.

Other wifi clients in the house are unaffected, even multiple iOS devices.

The router in use is fully up to date on firmware and OS. I've checked router logs and there's no LAN IP conflicts.

The issue seems to be isolated to the two MacOS devices and only since 13.2.1.

I have tried to perform wifi diagnostics on the MBP but as the wifi is constantly dropping there's nothing conclusive but I had the report files saved.

Coupled to this I've also performed some of the common wifi network troubleshooting steps.

• forgotten network and reconnected
  • deleted wifi interface from settings and rebuilt
  • deleted .plist files from SystemConfig folder
  • reset the NVRAM
  • Created a second wifi network in the router to only have the MBP and Mac Mini use that
  • Turned off Airplay
  • Not turned off Bluetooth as some sites suggest as that's not possible due to input peripherals being bluetooth
  • Ruled out WLAN issues due to all other wifi clients on the WLAN being unaffected, including iOS devices

Mac mini, macOS 12.4

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2023 11:25 AM

Can this issue please be escalated so Apple can fix it in their next update? It’s clearly an OS Ventura problem by reading people’s comments.

Similar questions

47 replies

Mar 20, 2023 4:26 PM in response to steve626

Am seeing the same issue with a brand new out-of-the box M2 mini and Ventura 13.2.1.

Cannot connect to home wifi, on the phone for hours with tech, have half-functional connection via phone tethering. Was asked to reinstall Ventura after all the safe mode reboot, various troubleshooting, etc. 36 hours and 55 minutes remaining on install.

Initially it did not look like the box is capable of bandwidth hopping or channel conflict resolution, but rebooting router had compatible channel / band and initially appeared to connect but then failed. Something is majorly horked and it's not my environment - wif6 new(ish) capable router and all other Mac devices (ranging from unsupported old iPad to Catalina to M1 Ventura work laptop to multiple iPhone generations on most recent connecting are flawlessly. Appears to be combo of Apple Silicon on the mini and latest Ventura.

On verge of returning my new purchase. Deeply disappointing.

Jun 7, 2023 8:21 PM in response to christof21

I was thrilled to come across this thread because I thought I might finally have a resolution to this issue, but NO. I have the exact same problem and have had it since the upgrade to Ventura. I have an Intel-based MBP, 2019 fully maxed out on RAM and Disk. I've been on a wide variety of private and public WiFi networks so it's definitely not a WiFi environment problem. I disabled and then uninstalled my VPN to no avail. Any serious work like online meetings have to be conducted on my iPad because the MBP is non-mission capable. Very disappointed!

Mar 7, 2023 3:47 PM in response to christof21

Hello christof21,

Thank you for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. You've done an excellent job with the troubleshooting steps that were performed. If you're using a VPN or have a third party security software installed on your Mac, we suggest to temporarily remove it and test to see if the Wi-Fi connection remains connected. This may cause the Wi-Fi network to not remain connected to your Mac. Here's our support article with additional details: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Kind regards.

Sep 18, 2023 5:46 AM in response to christof21

For the OP: If it's your home router and wifi access point then two other things I'd try.

1. see what wireless channels the wireless selects automatically and then, assuming you can, set it to fixed channels (2.4 and 5GHz) which are different from and a long way from (numerically) the channels it chooses automatically. You might be seeing interference and this might help.

2.Give the problem devices static IPs and make sure they are bound to their mac addresses in the router. You can use the IPs that are assigned by DCHP, but once you've changed from DCHP to static you'll should update the bind list just to make sure there are no clashes in future. You'll have to power cycle the router and the Macs once you've done it.

Sep 26, 2023 2:02 PM in response to christof21

Download and run Etrecheck. Be sure to give it Full Disk access before running.

Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to paste the report in your reply.

Then we can evaluate the report to see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Mar 7, 2023 11:13 PM in response to bryanr14

Thanks for your reply.

My MBP is a device provided by my employer and requires a FortiClient VPN client to be installed from Fortinet this has been installed on the MBP since we started working from home in 2020 and hasn't caused any issues with connectivity.

This is manually connected and disconnected by me. The wifi issue on the MBP occurs regardless of the connection state of the VPN

The other device that is suffering from this, my Mac Mini, is a personal device and doesn't have any VPN clients installed on it at all and still has the same same symptoms.

Mar 10, 2023 12:21 AM in response to christof21

After some more testing, it appears that there's a direct correlation to the bluetooth.

I've done some extended testing and with the bluetooth turned on the wifi continues to drop or at worst, it doesn't even find ANY wifi networks at all.

Turning the bluetooth off allows the wifi to remain connected and performs far more consistently.

However, this isn't a solution given that all input peripherals such as keyboard, mouse, airpods have to have bluetooth enabled.

Mar 19, 2023 5:08 AM in response to christof21

this thread seems to have gone dead but my sadly my problem hasn't magically resolved itself.

It's clearly an issue with MacOS and I need some sort of fix or answer to what the issue is and what is being done to fix it.

At the moment, the issue is rendering both MBP and Mac Mini pretty much useless with the wifi constantly dropping and then not even connecting or seeing any wifi networks.

Mar 19, 2023 5:43 AM in response to christof21

christof21 wrote:

this thread seems to have gone dead but my sadly my problem hasn't magically resolved itself.

It's clearly an issue with MacOS and I need some sort of fix or answer to what the issue is and what is being done to fix it.

At the moment, the issue is rendering both MBP and Mac Mini pretty much useless with the wifi constantly dropping and then not even connecting or seeing any wifi networks.

I would suggest that you try to systematically turn off each bluetooth device in the vicinity, one at a time, to try to see if one bluetooth device is interfering. Another option -- switch to the 5 GHz WiFi, as Bluetooth is at 2 GHz.

Mar 30, 2023 4:55 AM in response to christof21

It's happening with the latest stable update Ventura 13.3 in the MBP M1 Max. It's happening because of AWDL.

Disabling it using the below command seems to fix the issue.

sudo ifconfig awdl0 down

Unfortunately, the service gets auto-enabled after a few minutes, you can check the status by using this command

sudo ifconfig awdl0

No straightforward way to disable it completely.

Ventura 13.2.1 - wifi dropping on MBP and Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.