Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem booting old iMac G5

Having dug out my ancient iMac G5 and dusted it off, I booted it up and all seemed well.

I then set about deleting all old documents, files, images, etc with a view of passing on the iMac or even selling it.

I transferred all to the trash and selected the “Secure” empty option and this is where my problem began.

After some time I realised the system had hung; nothing happening, zilch. No mouse cursor. The same number of items in the Trash waiting but going nowhere.

My only recourse was to force the Mac to shut down.

Now it will not boot at all. The power light illuminates but the screen remains blank; no apple logo and no startup “bong”. After a minute the internal fans crank up and that’s it.

I’ve tried a few startup options and even tried a PRAM reset to no avail.

Is this the end of my old iMac G5?

Any ideas appreciated.

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 3:16 PM

It might be helpful to know exactly which iMac G5 that is?

You can plug in your serial number here to find out: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If that site doesn't ID it, try this one: Ultimate Mac Lookup - everymac.com

You are correct about the boot process even with a drive failure; it would still chime and display something on the screen, though probably not the Apple logo.

Given the age of the Mac, eighteen years at least (!), it's very possible that some power supply or logic board component has finally failed. Many older Macs had a logic board backup battery that when depleted would impact the startup process. Without know which Mac you have it's impossible to say if that would be the case. If so, I'm surprised that it started even the first time.

I suspect the power supply is probably the culprit.

I suggest that, if possible, you remove the internal drive and relegate that dinosaur to hobby status or recycling. It really isn't worth spending any time or money on, imho.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 3:16 PM in response to Tony T

It might be helpful to know exactly which iMac G5 that is?

You can plug in your serial number here to find out: Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

If that site doesn't ID it, try this one: Ultimate Mac Lookup - everymac.com

You are correct about the boot process even with a drive failure; it would still chime and display something on the screen, though probably not the Apple logo.

Given the age of the Mac, eighteen years at least (!), it's very possible that some power supply or logic board component has finally failed. Many older Macs had a logic board backup battery that when depleted would impact the startup process. Without know which Mac you have it's impossible to say if that would be the case. If so, I'm surprised that it started even the first time.

I suspect the power supply is probably the culprit.

I suggest that, if possible, you remove the internal drive and relegate that dinosaur to hobby status or recycling. It really isn't worth spending any time or money on, imho.

Mar 6, 2023 1:54 PM in response to Tony T

Exactly which iMac G5 is that?

If that site doesn't work try this one: Ultimate Mac Lookup - everymac.com

Has the original internal drive ever been replaced?

If it has not, then it may well have failed after you initiated the very disk intensive "Secure" delete option.

If you have the original system restore dvd disc(s) that the computer shipped with, then you could attempt to boot from that and reinstall the Mac OS with that.

Mar 6, 2023 2:35 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Many thanks fo your response.

No, the internal HD is the original. The iMac has been left unused for at least 8 years. Initially booted up OK.

I've never come across such a catastrophic failure as this. If the HD has failed wouldn't the device still at least "bong" and the screen display the Apple logo?

Totally blank screen, just the glow of the power light.

I've tried to insert the original system restore discs but the CD-drive is dead too. Won't accept any disc.

I fear the worst :-(

Thanks again.

Mar 7, 2023 1:48 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Hi again,

Many thanks for sticking with this issue… appreciated.

My veteran iMac is a G5 2.1 20" (iSight) Specs ca 2006 2.1 GHz PowerPC 970fx (G5).

I agree it could well be a power-supply or even a logic-board issue as the failure is so severe.

I also totally agree that it’s not worth spending time & money on such an old machine.

My reason for my efforts is due is partly a sentimental one. It was my 2nd iMac which I passed on to my mother who used it daily until she died in 2016.

Anyway, sadly it’ll be stripped down and recycled where possible.

You are also right about the logic-board ½ AA battery. I’ve had Macs since 1980 (Mac Classic), through LC3, (with a then colossal 80GB HD),

LC475, G4’s & G5’s and have changed many such batteries. On my 4th iMac now. 

Thanks so much for your time on this; as said; appreciated.

Regards

TonyT

Mar 10, 2023 9:31 AM in response to Tony T

FYI, the iMac G5s had a lot of issues with bulging & leaking capacitors on both their power supplies and their Logic Boards. I don't recall if the iMac G5 had LCD Panel issues as well or if that just the white Intel iMacs. Plus a hard drive that old may be worn out or failing. Sometimes a hard drive may no longer operate properly after sitting unused for so long. I suspect bad capacitors. It is easy to see the ones on the Logic Board....the capacitors are the cylindrical components. The tops of these capacitors should be flat & clear, but when failing they may bulge slightly (or bulge a lot), or they may show as leaking with some brown gunk on top. Usually the capacitors with the "+" hash mark are the ones most likely to leak & bulge. The ones in the power supply are harder to see.

Problem booting old iMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.