Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 displays and TB4 dock

I am switching to Macbook Pro as my main computer from windows. Getting Macbook PRO m2 Max and I was wondering if someone could confirm that my idea about connecting external displays will work.

I am trying to minimize cables and expand ports. It sounds like TB4 dock station might be right solution. I have 3x 4k monitors I would like to run at 60Hz. I don't want to use Displaylink unless I have to.

CalDigit TS4 looks like quality dock. It has dual 4k 60Hz support for Mac via TB4 port.

Is it as good as direct connect and can I plug in third monitor directly to Macbook via TB4 or HDMI?

Thanks for your input. Charles

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 7:06 PM

To use up to two displays on one cable, that cable must be a genuine Thunderbolt cable, and the first device must be a genuine ThunderBolt device (Dock or Display).

USB-C only connections do not have enough high-end bandwidth for larger displays, so Apple has decided USB-C only means at most one to a device (Dock or display).

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2023 7:06 PM in response to Charles_cz

To use up to two displays on one cable, that cable must be a genuine Thunderbolt cable, and the first device must be a genuine ThunderBolt device (Dock or Display).

USB-C only connections do not have enough high-end bandwidth for larger displays, so Apple has decided USB-C only means at most one to a device (Dock or display).

3 displays and TB4 dock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.