Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP PhotoSmart 410C Scanner - Scan button greyed out

I'm using an older HP PhotoSmart 410C Printer, with built-in scanner. I have always used the HP Photosmart app for printing, scanning & faxing on my legacy iMac. However, I upgraded to a new M1 iMac last year (2022) & immediately had problems getting the HP Printer driver to operate the printer. I downloaded a new copy of the printer driver, & it works fine for printing, but when try to select the "Scanner" button it is "greyed out" and I can't select it.

I found the Apple "Image Capture" app & it looks just like the scanner application I used in the HP printer driver, and works just fine by itself. So it seems likely to me that the HP printer driver simply "calls" iMac's Image Capture for the scanner operation (under the driver's "Scanner" button). Rather than keep using two different apps, is there a way to get the "Scanner" button in the HP driver to work properly (not greyed out)?

iMac operating Ventura MacOS 13.2.1

Thanks for any help suggestions ...

iMac 24″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 6, 2023 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 4:44 AM

The app you should be using is HP Smart for Desktop, it is available from the Mac App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hp-smart-for-desktop/id1474276998?mt=12

1 reply

HP PhotoSmart 410C Scanner - Scan button greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.