Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail opens then closes itself then opens and loads

Apple mail opens then closes itself then opens and loads. It happens every time that I open Apple mail. It did this in MacOS Big Sur and it continues to do it in MacOS Monterey 12.6.3. I run it on a MacBook Pro, 13 inch early 2015 with 16 GB installed memory.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 7, 2023 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2023 4:09 PM

Hey again!

I would look in the Drafts or Outbox mailboxes and, if possible delete any that may have gotten stuck and try again.

Otherwise you can quit Mail, open Finder, while holding Option, choose Go > Library. From there open Saved Application State. Delete any file that shows Mail, (Probably com.apple.mail), restart and try again.

But most likely there is an open draft or an unsent email stuck in one of those mailboxes. Opening with Shift prevents any previously opened windows from reopening. So it’s possible this draft or unsent email, or something else is causing the problem.

Hope that helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Sunsetdude

Hey again!

I would look in the Drafts or Outbox mailboxes and, if possible delete any that may have gotten stuck and try again.

Otherwise you can quit Mail, open Finder, while holding Option, choose Go > Library. From there open Saved Application State. Delete any file that shows Mail, (Probably com.apple.mail), restart and try again.

But most likely there is an open draft or an unsent email stuck in one of those mailboxes. Opening with Shift prevents any previously opened windows from reopening. So it’s possible this draft or unsent email, or something else is causing the problem.

Hope that helps!

Mar 7, 2023 8:31 PM in response to Sunsetdude

Hey Sunsetdude!

Launching the Mail app while holding the Shift key prevents the Mail saved state from reloading. Can you say if the same happens when opening Mail with the Shift key?

There are other questions I have if that doesn’t resolve it:

How many accounts you have.

If the same happens if you disable one or all accounts in System Preferences > Internet Accounts.

And of course starting your Mac in Safe Mode as a test, or launching mail in another user account, those are always good tests for isolation purposes.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

Mar 8, 2023 8:44 AM in response to DiZoE

Opening Mail while holding the shift key down appears to resolve it. Thank you!!! Also noticed that not seeing two closing when quit (without holding shift key down).

What was going on and will I need to press the shift key down every time I open mail going forward?

I have 5 mail accounts--Apple Mail and 4 google mail accounts. There is no problem with open, close, open on my iMac Mail which also has multiple accounts. Are there any things I need to be aware of with multiple google accounting running through Apple Mail instead of reading them in Google Mail on the web?

Mail opens then closes itself then opens and loads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.