Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail quit unexpectedly

Mail is behaving strangely, I can launch Mail with the shift key so no mailbox is selected. Upon launch, I can select Inbox to show mail headers, but when any inbox message is selected or opened, the app quits. I can open and manipulate any other messages in all other mailboxes with no problem. I have tried removing the container files com.apple.mail and com.apple.MailServiceAgent, also tried removing the preference files com.apple.mail.plist and com.apple.mail-shared.plist , with the same results. Booting in safe mode makes no difference. Additionally, the files com.apple.MailServiceAgent and both preference files have not reappeared in their respective folders. I am able to access my e-mail through my internet provider's webmail page, so I am trying to keep the server from becoming loaded with mail while I try to get some advice. I'm running El Capitan 10.11.6 on a mid-2007 iMac, so there's no updating possible. Anybody?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 27, 2022 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2022 11:54 AM

Hi Varlet G,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! Doe this happen with a specific mail account? Has it been removed and re-added? From the Mail app go to Mail menu > Preferences > Accounts, select the account and there minus button in the bottom of the screen.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Once removed, you can re-add it to see if this continues to occur.

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2022 11:54 AM in response to Varlet G

Hi Varlet G,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! Doe this happen with a specific mail account? Has it been removed and re-added? From the Mail app go to Mail menu > Preferences > Accounts, select the account and there minus button in the bottom of the screen.

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Once removed, you can re-add it to see if this continues to occur.

Hope that helps!

Apple Mail quit unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.