Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display and login issues

I connected my MacBook Pro to an external display. I have done it many times with this external display (LG) with no issues for over 2 years.

For this first time (I must have done something by mistake with my System Preferences-Displays)- it is not mirroring but is ONLY showing on the external display.

Even worse, now on the external display it is only showing me a blurred image of the background, and is not responding to any commands whatsoever. I cannot see any menus or icons, just that image.

My mouse is visible and I can move it around but that is it.

I have tried starting in Safe Mode and System Recovery mode, but neither has worked.

Any ideas?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 1:20 PM

Sounds like maybe the built-in display may not be working (possible hardware issue), but macOS has some communication with the built-in display so the built-in display is still the main screen. Since the external extended display is blurred and you are unable to interact with it, that tells me either you are still at the login screen, or there if logged in, then there may be some kind of system prompt or notification on the main screen which needs to be dealt with before macOS allows for any other system interaction (good luck with the latter).

If you are logged in, then try toggling mirroring by pressing Command + F1 (or with a Touchbar Mac press & hold the Fn key, then press Command + F1 while still holding the Fn key). This only works after a user is logged into a macOS user account unfortunately. If you are still at the login screen, then try to log in blindly. If you have user icons for the login screen, then type the first character of a user account followed by pressing the "Return" key which will bring focus to it & provide the password prompt. Enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password. If you have some other type of login screen, then you will need to figure out how to enter the user name & password blindly.

You can try closing the lid of the display, then very slowly & gently open the display to less than 45 degrees to see whether the built-in display comes back on (signifies a bad display cable...a known issue with some 2016-2019 models, but later ones possibly may still have it too).

Or put the laptop into Clamshell mode so the video should be forced to the external display. You will need to connect the charger to the laptop as well as a wired USB keyboard & mouse. After powering on the laptop you will need to close the lid of the display...I like to do this very soon after hearing the startup chime in order to have the early boot screen with the Apple displayed on the external display. Sometimes it can be tricky to get Clamshell mode to work.

If it is an Intel Mac, then you can try a PRAM Reset (hold for two chimes if possible) which will reset the brightness settings to default just in case the brightness level got set too low. You can try adjusting the brightness anyway, but many times I find even the brightness adjustment is not allowed until after logging into a macOS user account.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 1:20 PM in response to CXDO

Sounds like maybe the built-in display may not be working (possible hardware issue), but macOS has some communication with the built-in display so the built-in display is still the main screen. Since the external extended display is blurred and you are unable to interact with it, that tells me either you are still at the login screen, or there if logged in, then there may be some kind of system prompt or notification on the main screen which needs to be dealt with before macOS allows for any other system interaction (good luck with the latter).

If you are logged in, then try toggling mirroring by pressing Command + F1 (or with a Touchbar Mac press & hold the Fn key, then press Command + F1 while still holding the Fn key). This only works after a user is logged into a macOS user account unfortunately. If you are still at the login screen, then try to log in blindly. If you have user icons for the login screen, then type the first character of a user account followed by pressing the "Return" key which will bring focus to it & provide the password prompt. Enter the password and press the "Return" key to submit the password. If you have some other type of login screen, then you will need to figure out how to enter the user name & password blindly.

You can try closing the lid of the display, then very slowly & gently open the display to less than 45 degrees to see whether the built-in display comes back on (signifies a bad display cable...a known issue with some 2016-2019 models, but later ones possibly may still have it too).

Or put the laptop into Clamshell mode so the video should be forced to the external display. You will need to connect the charger to the laptop as well as a wired USB keyboard & mouse. After powering on the laptop you will need to close the lid of the display...I like to do this very soon after hearing the startup chime in order to have the early boot screen with the Apple displayed on the external display. Sometimes it can be tricky to get Clamshell mode to work.

If it is an Intel Mac, then you can try a PRAM Reset (hold for two chimes if possible) which will reset the brightness settings to default just in case the brightness level got set too low. You can try adjusting the brightness anyway, but many times I find even the brightness adjustment is not allowed until after logging into a macOS user account.

Mar 17, 2023 3:22 PM in response to CXDO

Great answer and recommendations, thank you!

(1) I used your Clamshell suggestion to be able to log in and that now got me back to where I was previously (i.e. logged in and only external display working, built-in display off and just showing black screen)

(2) Then I used this suggestion you gave (I copied and pasted it again below ) to get the built-in display to come back on- and it worked!

<<You can try closing the lid of the display, then very slowly & gently open the display to less than 45 degrees to see whether the built-in display comes back on (signifies a bad display cable...a known issue with some 2016-2019 models, but later ones possibly may still have it too).>>

However, once I open the lid more than 45 degrees the built-in display goes off. (The external monitor display still works).

If the problem is what you said (i.e. a bad display cable)- how do I fix that?

*Also (just curious) what would have suddenly caused the bad display cable? I have been using this laptop with the same external display LG through Thunderbolt for 3 years and never had this issue.

I am always mirroring and it has always worked until suddenly. What seemed to make the built-in display go off was my closing the built-in display window in Displays in System Preferences while I was working, but I can't imagine that would suddenly damage the display cable.

Anyway, back to my main question, since it would appear that the problem is what you said (i.e.bad display cable)- how do I fix that?

(My laptop is a MacBook Pro 15 inch, 2016, running 2.9GHz Intel Core i&

Graphics for what its worth Radeon Pro and Intel HD Graphics

Thank you so much for your help!

Mar 17, 2023 4:47 PM in response to CXDO

You will need to have the Display Assembly replaced. Unfortunately the 2016 model is now considered "Vintage" so an official repair is still possible as long as the necessary part is still available. Have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate.

Display and login issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.