Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bilingual keyboard

i use English and Spanish in equal amounts and constantly switch back and forth using the language switcher icon, but mostly i only use 2 specific symbols from Spanish (ñ and ¿) as most messages dont require 100% correct grammar with Spanish accents etc. Is there a way for me to avoid switching back and forth so much, staying in English, and using character codes or ASCII or a short cut of some kind to bring up these 2 characters from an English keyboard?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 8:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 8:43 AM

For ñ, hold down the option key, type the "n" key and then type "n"

For ¿, just hold down both the option and shift keys and then type "?"

PS: I'm not familiar with Spanish, only French. But there are many other keyboard shortcuts like this. You can use the "Show Keyboard Viewer" option in the Keyboard preferences menu to see all the possible combinations when holding down option and shift.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2023 8:43 AM in response to escocia1

For ñ, hold down the option key, type the "n" key and then type "n"

For ¿, just hold down both the option and shift keys and then type "?"

PS: I'm not familiar with Spanish, only French. But there are many other keyboard shortcuts like this. You can use the "Show Keyboard Viewer" option in the Keyboard preferences menu to see all the possible combinations when holding down option and shift.

bilingual keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.