Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adsitional Security

Just bought my first Macbook Air. Should I install additional security such as Malwarebytes or is It unnecessary?

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 10:24 AM

I have never installed any 3rd party virus, security or cleaning apps on my Apple devices.

Also see: macOS - Security - Apple

Protect your Mac from malware - Apple Support

Set up your Mac to be secure - Apple Support

Security features for MacBook Pro - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 11, 2023 4:26 PM in response to divachef

No. If you do ever suspect that malware may have been accidentally installed, then you can run MalwareBytes to scan the system, but there is no reason to run MalwareBytes beyond the single scan...in fact I would suggest uninstalling it afterwards (uninstall option is on one of the app's menus, definitely no need to run the real-time scanner as that will interfere with the normal operation of macOS as well).

macOS already has great built-in security especially when combined with the user practicing safe computing habits. Here is an excellent article written by a respected forum contributor which has some tips for safe computing habits:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community

Adsitional Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.