Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch bands and Latex

I have had an allergic reaction/blistering reaction to the Apple Watch Sport silicone band previously with my first watch in 2015/16. I am trying to find which bands are 100% safe for me to use since I have a severe, now anaphylactic, latex allergy.

I see in other responses you say “latex is not listed in any of the bands.” However, latex is often mixed into stretchy materials like silicone to create more stretch or strength, without any disclosure as to if it is, in fact, 100% latex free. Since the latex added is below a certain percentage, often the product will say “100% silicone,” as your watch bands do, it is not required to be disclosed according to the FDA. So, unless something is marked 100% medical grade silicone, or 100% food grade silicone, it is possible the manufacturer may have included latex in the production as a cost saving measure, or to strengthen the fiber.

Since I have had a reaction to your silicone band before, I am assuming the manufacturing process includes latex. I want to ask, has Apple upgraded to 100% medical grade silicone yet?

Which of the branded bands you offer do not contain or have not been treated with natural rubber, NRL, dry rubber, dry natural rubber, Amazonian rubber, Indian rubber, caucho, caoutchouc, or natural rubber latex?

Are any of the waterproof ones not made or treated with natural rubber latex?

I am attaching an FDA article about lack of disclose of latex in products for your review. Please forgive me if you all already know these details. However, I’m sharing this info since Apple’s normal answer is “none of our watch bands contain latex,” but, obviously this is not the case since your 100% silicone bands cause me and fellow latex allergy sufferers a reaction.

Also, if you may not know, latex allergies are progressive, so with more exposure, the allergy becomes worse. Many people who just have a contact latex allergy (i.e. blistering and rashes) are not aware of this fact, so, by Apple not guaranteeing 100% medical grade silicone, people with this allergy are unknowingly continually exposing themselves to the allergen, thus worsening it and getting closer to the anaphylaxis experience. An experience, if I’m honest, I don’t recommend to anyone.

I am attaching some other articles about latex allergies for your review. Unfortunately, I have little faith anyone cares due to the other companies I’ve corresponded with being completely dismissive. But, it’s worth a try to inform your customer service department that what they are telling people may not be completely accurate.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter, I look forward to hearing from you.

-Kate B.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 9

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 5:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 1:48 PM

This is a used-to-user forum. No one here (with VERY limited exceptions) works for Apple. If you want to make this known to Apple, use this link:

Product Feedback - Apple

2 replies

Apple Watch bands and Latex

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.