Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brother printer compatibility

Brother is not updating print drivers for my MFC-J870DW printer for OS 13 (Ventura). While looking at replacement printers, I'm finding that several of the new Brother models are NOT compatible with OS 13, according to Brother's compatibility list. Is anyone else seeing this? Have you found work arounds? I like Brother printers because the ink cartridge replacements can be purchased inexpensively but am hesitant to buy one if they aren't going to maintain compatibility with current MAC OS.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 13, 2023 4:17 PM

5 replies

Mar 13, 2023 4:52 PM in response to ComeAlive

Hi,

The Brother MFC-J870DW should be compatible with macOS (Ventura) since it supports the driverless AirPrint technology (see the list in About AirPrint - Apple Support). If you try it, just make sure that the printer and the Mac are connected to the same network (Wi-Fi router).

AirPrint works with wireless (Wi-Fi) or wired (Ethernet) network connections. So, you could wire the printer to one of the LAN ports of the router instead of using Wi-Fi, if you so wish. Ethernet may be more stable.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Mar 14, 2023 8:34 AM in response to ComeAlive

First of all, as Meg The Dog indicated, do check whether scanning is possible via Apple's Image Capture.

Sometimes, macOS 10.15 Catalina drivers work with a few subsequent operating system versions as well.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcj870dw_us_eu_as&os=10060

You could perhaps try these drivers, but that would be experimental.

Also, you could possibly test the Brother iPrint&Scan app for scanning, if necessary.

If nothing else works, you may want to have a look at a third-party paid product called VueScan.

https://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/brother_mfc_j870dw.html

Brother printer compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.