Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I am not able to use a second monitor on a remote desktop connection on my iMac

WHEN USING DUAL MONITORS ON A REMOTE DESKTOP CONNECTION, IN A WINDOWS NETWORK, MY SECOND MONITOR IS NOT ABLE TO BE USED. WHAT AM I MISSING?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 8:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2024 2:59 AM

Hi, I found the solution and I want to post it here for people who has the same issues.

In Microsoft Remote Desktop, click on the icon for the computer you remote in to. Click the Settings cog above it, then Edit.

Check "Use custom settings" (and this was the trick!) Now you can see the Display tab.

Select "Use all monitors".

Restart MRD and voila!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2024 2:59 AM in response to bumin145

Hi, I found the solution and I want to post it here for people who has the same issues.

In Microsoft Remote Desktop, click on the icon for the computer you remote in to. Click the Settings cog above it, then Edit.

Check "Use custom settings" (and this was the trick!) Now you can see the Display tab.

Select "Use all monitors".

Restart MRD and voila!

Apr 28, 2023 12:25 PM in response to lauraslive

I have the same issue. I use a mac at home and windows at work. I use dual monitors at the office. When I remote in to the office from home (using Microsoft Remote Desktop), I cannot view my remote session on dual monitors at home. I can only view the remote session on a one monitor and the second monitor shows my mac. I use two monitors at the office and am finding it difficult to work from home because I'm only able to use one monitor. It seems the Microsoft Remote Desktop session just can't be split between the dual monitors.

May 26, 2023 9:06 PM in response to MRnsb

I had the same issue with a new set up on my Mac using ipad as second display. When you open the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on your Mac select the "pencil" icon next to the "Bin" icon for the PC you are remoting to. The Edit PC window opens and then select the Display tab and check "Use all monitor". This will allow you to use MRD across all monitors connect to the Mac.

Jan 21, 2024 2:56 PM in response to bumin145

Hi I'm having the same issue. Up until last week I was able to connect into my VPN at work via MS remote desktop and work across both my monitor and my Macbook screen quite happily, drag and drop etc... Now I'm not able to do this. I'm updated to the latest Apple OS and Apple Support indicate its a third party issue ie with MS.

I've tried settings on the Mac. I have tried switching off "Displays have seperate spaces" but this just gives me a black screen on the second desktop and I cannot interact with it in any way. There doesn't appear to be any settings on the MS remote desktop app (Ive tried right click) that do anything. Has anyone found a fix?

I am not able to use a second monitor on a remote desktop connection on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.