Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro 2 case sounds

Occasionally, when I insert an AirPod into the case, the case makes a descending, two tone chime. Can anyone tell me what thus chime signifies? I am not interested in turning the case sounds off, I just want to know the reason the case is making this sound in this situation.

AirPods Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 2:09 PM

Hello Jayg74,

The charging case for the AirPods Pro (2nd generation can provide a sound in a few instances, such as when it begins to charge, or if the case's charge level is low.

This page can help with providing info: Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life - Apple Support

The MagSafe Charging Case for AirPods Pro (2nd generation) plays a sound when it begins to charge, or when the battery charge is low.

The info here from the above link can help with checking the charge level, if needed:

Open your case lid with your AirPods inside and hold your case close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Wait a few seconds to see the charge status of your AirPods.

Cheers.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2023 2:09 PM in response to Jayg74

Hello Jayg74,

The charging case for the AirPods Pro (2nd generation can provide a sound in a few instances, such as when it begins to charge, or if the case's charge level is low.

This page can help with providing info: Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life - Apple Support

The MagSafe Charging Case for AirPods Pro (2nd generation) plays a sound when it begins to charge, or when the battery charge is low.

The info here from the above link can help with checking the charge level, if needed:

Open your case lid with your AirPods inside and hold your case close to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Wait a few seconds to see the charge status of your AirPods.

Cheers.

Mar 15, 2023 5:35 PM in response to Jayg74

Hi Jayg74,

Are your AirPods near your paired device, for example your iPhone, when this happens? If not, you could be hearing the separation alert mentioned in Get separation alerts if you leave your AirPods behind - Apple Support.

If not, this noise may be unexpected, in which case we'd recommend resetting your AirPods. Guidance below is from How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support.

1. Put your AirPods in their charging case, and close the lid.
2. Wait 30 seconds.
3. Open the lid of your charging case, and put your AirPods in your ears.
4. Go to Settings > Bluetooth. Or go to Settings > [your AirPods].
• If your AirPods appear there as connected, tap the More Info button  next to your AirPods, tap Forget This Device, then tap again to confirm.
• If your AirPods don't appear there, continue to the next step. 
5. . Put your AirPods in their charging case, and keep the lid open. 
6. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the case for about 15 seconds, until the status light on the front of the case flashes amber, then white.
7. Reconnect your AirPods: With your AirPods in their charging case and the lid open, place your AirPods close to your iPhone or iPad. Follow the steps on your device's screen.

Take care.

Mar 21, 2023 6:22 AM in response to faith185

Hi faith185,

The AirPods are near the paired device when the case makes this sound as I return the AirPod to the case, so this is not the separation alert. I followed the steps you provided for resetting the AirPods but after a few days of testing I found that the case still occasionally makes this sound when I insert an AirPod in the case.

Mar 21, 2023 12:06 PM in response to Jayg74

Hi Jayg74,

To help us isolate where the sounds originate, are you able to turn off the charging case sounds to help us determine if this is the alert you're noticing? This resource will show you how: Change settings for AirPods Pro (all generations) - Apple Support

"Turn off charging case sounds on AirPods Pro (2nd generation)

Your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) charging case plays a sound when it pairs, charges, and more. You can turn off these sounds.

1. Wear your AirPods, and make sure they’re connected to your device.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch: Go to Settings , tap the name of your AirPods near the top of the screen, then turn Enable Charging Case Sounds on or off.
    • On Mac: Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, click the name of your AirPods in the sidebar (you may need to scroll down), then turn “Enable charging case sounds” on or off"

If you still need help in identifying the sounds, you may consider reaching out to Apple directly here: Contact Apple Support

Kind regards.

Mar 21, 2023 4:36 PM in response to Jayg74

Hi Jayg74,

Per the link in the last reply, Change settings for AirPods Pro (all generations):

"Your AirPods Pro (2nd generation) charging case plays a sound when it pairs, charges, and more." (emphasis added).

The article Charge your AirPods and learn about battery life also mentions:

"The MagSafe Charging Case for AirPods Pro (2nd generation) plays a sound when it begins to charge, or when the battery charge is low."

As you've isolated this behavior to a case sound, if the above don't explain the audio you're hearing, reach out to Apple Support directly to investigate further.

Regards.

AirPods Pro 2 case sounds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.