Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV - HomeKit

Hi,

I’m trying to set up HomeKit (automation) on a house with an Apple TV 4K gen 1.

when I go into settings on the Apple TV it said it needs an iCloud for HomeKit but I’ve already added one.

not sure if I’ve done something wrong.

any thoughts would be helpful.

thanks!

Apple TV 4K (1st generation)

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2023 10:20 PM

Not sure what you mean by you’ve added an iCloud. You need to be signed in to iCloud for everything to work. This should be the same Apple ID account you use for all devices, for more control and to use Siri commands. Once you sign into iCloud in users & accounts in the Apple tv settings, then set up AirPlay & HomeKit where you choose the room, it will be added to the home app on all devices like iPhones, iPad, Mac etc. It will then act as a Home Hub and you can add Automations in the Home App.

Set up Apple TV as a home hub

Apple TV* automatically becomes a home hub when you add it to HomeKit.

• Complete all the below steps:
  1. Open Settings on Apple TV.
  2. Select Users and Accounts. Make sure your name is selected under Default User and that you're signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app.
  3. Go back to Apple TV Settings, then select AirPlay and HomeKit.
  4. Scroll down and select Room, then choose a room or add a new room.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2023 10:20 PM in response to AWM19

Not sure what you mean by you’ve added an iCloud. You need to be signed in to iCloud for everything to work. This should be the same Apple ID account you use for all devices, for more control and to use Siri commands. Once you sign into iCloud in users & accounts in the Apple tv settings, then set up AirPlay & HomeKit where you choose the room, it will be added to the home app on all devices like iPhones, iPad, Mac etc. It will then act as a Home Hub and you can add Automations in the Home App.

Set up Apple TV as a home hub

Apple TV* automatically becomes a home hub when you add it to HomeKit.

• Complete all the below steps:
  1. Open Settings on Apple TV.
  2. Select Users and Accounts. Make sure your name is selected under Default User and that you're signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit and Matter accessories in the Home app.
  3. Go back to Apple TV Settings, then select AirPlay and HomeKit.
  4. Scroll down and select Room, then choose a room or add a new room.

Apple TV - HomeKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.