Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing apple library to a second device

Help! I have an old school iPod, no bluetooth. The plug 'n play into the dash/console USB isn't compatible with my new vehicle. I have a second iPod touch WITH bluetooth that I am trying to copy music from my iTunes library onto. I linked the new iPod in my iTunes account, but cannot find a way to copy all the music (uploaded from CDs) I have stored onto the second device. When I open iTunes the old school iPod has a library "connected" to it, but the second device has an empty library. It really should not be difficult to tell iTunes to sync the selected music with the chosen device or devices, but perhaps it is because I can't seem to figure it out.

iPod mini

Posted on Mar 15, 2023 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 3:54 AM

You need to set Sync options for the second iPod.

• Once the iPod appears in your iTunes Library, tap the device icon shown towards the top of the iTunes:

This will display the Device/Settings/Summary pane. You then tap on Device/Settings/Music (indicated by the 1. in the screenshot below) and follows the steps below:

• tap the Sync Music button (2.) to turn on the tick (check mark)
  • for step 3. - choose to sync either:
    • Entire music library, which puts all the library's music onto the iPod
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, which only then displays section 4.- where you select which items to add to the iPod
  • tap the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window for these changes to be applied.

If you see a warning that all the media on the iPod will be replaced if you Sync the iPod with this library, that will be because the iPod was previously synchronised with a different iTunes Library. It means what is says; all music currently on the iPod will be removed and only what you select in the new Library will be added to the iPod.

Regarding the point that you made about your non-Bluetooth iPod, are you sure that there is not a USB socket hidden away in your new car, to which you could connect the iPod's sync/power cable? In my car I have two, very obviously on view, but I am aware of some vehicles that have the USB sockets in the glove box, down the passenger side of the centre console or under a lid.

Once cable connected, there will be an option in the car's audio system to use the USB inlet to play from the iPod. The USB option may not appear on the menu unless there is a recognisable device plugged into it.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 3:54 AM in response to Motherof3Dragons

You need to set Sync options for the second iPod.

• Once the iPod appears in your iTunes Library, tap the device icon shown towards the top of the iTunes:

This will display the Device/Settings/Summary pane. You then tap on Device/Settings/Music (indicated by the 1. in the screenshot below) and follows the steps below:

• tap the Sync Music button (2.) to turn on the tick (check mark)
  • for step 3. - choose to sync either:
    • Entire music library, which puts all the library's music onto the iPod
    • Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, which only then displays section 4.- where you select which items to add to the iPod
  • tap the Apply (or Sync) button in the lower right corner of the iTunes window for these changes to be applied.

If you see a warning that all the media on the iPod will be replaced if you Sync the iPod with this library, that will be because the iPod was previously synchronised with a different iTunes Library. It means what is says; all music currently on the iPod will be removed and only what you select in the new Library will be added to the iPod.

Regarding the point that you made about your non-Bluetooth iPod, are you sure that there is not a USB socket hidden away in your new car, to which you could connect the iPod's sync/power cable? In my car I have two, very obviously on view, but I am aware of some vehicles that have the USB sockets in the glove box, down the passenger side of the centre console or under a lid.

Once cable connected, there will be an option in the car's audio system to use the USB inlet to play from the iPod. The USB option may not appear on the menu unless there is a recognisable device plugged into it.

syncing apple library to a second device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.