Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 2015 running Monterey freezing & lagging

I am having issues with the mac freezing and lagging, the mouse still moves but applications such as word and email have 30 second or longer lags. I ran EtrCheck but have no idea what this feedback report means or how to fix it. Am worried that my HD might be failing as time machine doesn't seem to be working properly either.

Maybe it is just time for a new Mac?

Appreciate any help or advice :)

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 12:14 PM

Your after-market SSD is not doing its job:

Performance:

System Load: 3.47 (1 min ago) 3.52 (5 min ago) 3.46 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 4.44 MB/s

File system: 20.21 seconds

Write speed: 34 MB/s ⚠️

Read speed: 474 MB/s

Both speeds should be nearly equal at ±500MB/sec. Fortunately I think I see the reason and it is fixable:

Drives:

disk0 - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 500.11 GB (Solid State - TRIM: No)

When I upgraded to SSD in a Macbook Pro, its maker said TRIMforce was not required. However, after a few years the Write speeds dropped to half, then plummeted into the two-digit range. I fixed it by enabling TRIMforce:

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/31619-how-to-execute-trimforce-command-with-your-owc-ssd/

and did MULTIPLE Safe Mode boots. I had to leave the computer "soaking" in Safe Mode for up to two hours multiple times to allow Safe Mode to do the needed maintenance but, once it was done, my SSD speeds were once again snappy and have remained so.

I'd start there.

And PLEASE! rid yourself of every bit of that useless "cleaning" dungware! It's all a scam. Catlike, the macOS has been self-maintaining for over 20 years. That third-party cr@p only interferes with elegant self-maintenance routines that you paid Apple to build into the OS. Let your Mac be a Mac!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2023 12:14 PM in response to wrangler1

Your after-market SSD is not doing its job:

Performance:

System Load: 3.47 (1 min ago) 3.52 (5 min ago) 3.46 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O usage: 4.44 MB/s

File system: 20.21 seconds

Write speed: 34 MB/s ⚠️

Read speed: 474 MB/s

Both speeds should be nearly equal at ±500MB/sec. Fortunately I think I see the reason and it is fixable:

Drives:

disk0 - Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB 500.11 GB (Solid State - TRIM: No)

When I upgraded to SSD in a Macbook Pro, its maker said TRIMforce was not required. However, after a few years the Write speeds dropped to half, then plummeted into the two-digit range. I fixed it by enabling TRIMforce:

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/31619-how-to-execute-trimforce-command-with-your-owc-ssd/

and did MULTIPLE Safe Mode boots. I had to leave the computer "soaking" in Safe Mode for up to two hours multiple times to allow Safe Mode to do the needed maintenance but, once it was done, my SSD speeds were once again snappy and have remained so.

I'd start there.

And PLEASE! rid yourself of every bit of that useless "cleaning" dungware! It's all a scam. Catlike, the macOS has been self-maintaining for over 20 years. That third-party cr@p only interferes with elegant self-maintenance routines that you paid Apple to build into the OS. Let your Mac be a Mac!

Mar 16, 2023 9:12 AM in response to wrangler1

Mac OS does not require or benefit in any fashion by installing third party antivirus, cleaning or other types of "maintenance" apps. Your system has DrCleanerProPlus.app installed, please locate the developers uninstall instructions and then uninstall.

The next step is to restart the computer in Safe Mode per the directions in the link and then restart normally. Then test the computer for 2-3 days. If the problem continues then I suspect the Samsung SSD that was installed may be failing. To test that device download the evaluation (free) version of DriveDX and test the SSD. If any errors are found then that simply confirms the SSD is failing. In that case I would strongly recommend replacing the computer.

Mar 16, 2023 8:00 AM in response to wrangler1

Delete these files & restart...

~/Library/LaunchAgents/jp.co.canon.Inkjet_Extended_Survey_Agent.plist

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection.daemon.plist

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent.plist

~ tilde indicates your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

You can use Drive DX to possibly get a better view of Drive health…

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

Thanks to Jack-19…

It may be wise to run SMART Utility to check the drives' health. 

iMac 2015 running Monterey freezing & lagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.