Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blackmagic Design Fusion Studio Crashes on Launch

Blackmagic Design Fusion Studio version 18.1.3 crashes on launch on MBP16 M1 Max operating under MacOS 13.2.1. I have tried attempted the following with no success:

1. Rebooted the computer.
  2. Booted the computer into safe mode and attempted to launch.
  3. Uninstalled with the vendors uninstall application.
  4. Manually uninstalled to make sure all files on the computer have been deleted including the application, files in ~/library and /library.
  5. Did a fresh install of the operating system.
  6. Restored the computer from a time machine back-up when I knew the software was launching.
  7. Set-up a new user.
  8. Contacted the vendor, Blackmagic Design, but they have not been able to come up with a solution.

Attached is Apple crash log. On the first page, there are exception codes. However, I do not know how to interpret the crash report to lead me to fix the reason behind the crash.

Anyone out there that has experience reading these crash reports that might help me determine what is going on and why?

Don

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 3:44 PM

I finally have a solution to Blackmagic Design Fusion Studio crashes. The problem was related to a file on my computer located at /~Library/OFX/Plugins/CineMatch.ofx.bundle. The deletion of CineMatch.ofx.bundle allowed Fusion Studio to properly launch.

I hope that this solution may aid others in the troubleshooting of crashes with other MacOS applications and "closes the loop” on this thread.

Don Barar

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2023 3:44 PM in response to dgbarar

I finally have a solution to Blackmagic Design Fusion Studio crashes. The problem was related to a file on my computer located at /~Library/OFX/Plugins/CineMatch.ofx.bundle. The deletion of CineMatch.ofx.bundle allowed Fusion Studio to properly launch.

I hope that this solution may aid others in the troubleshooting of crashes with other MacOS applications and "closes the loop” on this thread.

Don Barar

Mar 18, 2023 9:39 AM in response to dgbarar

Hey there dgbarar,

While it does sound like you already tried some great tjoyublehsotoing steps, it's possible you'll need to contact that app developer's support a second time. While we're unable to interpret the crash report you shared in your post, we'd like to rule out some other possible causes, along with confirming more details to better understand what's happening:

1. When did this start to occur with that app on your Mac?
  2. Are any other apps experiencing the same issue?
  3. We see you have macOS 13.2 installed, but the latest version is macOS 13.2.1. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. In case you needed it, this link shows how to first back up, then Update macOS on Mac.

Cheers!

Mar 18, 2023 3:10 PM in response to dgbarar

Hello dgbarar,

Thank you for letting us know more.

Since the app isn't opening as expected, please go through the suggestions outlined in the following link, as they can help with that behavior: If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

"1. Quit and reopen the app

Quit the app, then open it again. If the app won't quit, force the app to quit. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

2. Restart your Mac

Restart your Mac. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

3. Check for updates

To see if updates are available for the app, open the App Store, then click Updates. If updates aren't available for the app, update the software on your Mac. Or if you didn't get the app from the App Store, look for updates to the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

4. Reinstall the app

Delete the app. When you do this, you might lose data that was stored in the app. Then redownload the app. If you didn't get the app from the App Store, redownload the app on the app developer's website. Then check to see if the problem with the app is fixed.

Get more help

Thank you.

Mar 18, 2023 12:00 PM in response to bruno75

Hi Bruno:

Answers to your questions:

• When did this start to occur on your Mac? Best I can tell is sometime around December 2022. However, re-storing a time machine back from December did not resolve problem.
  • Are there any other apps experiencing the same issue? No.
  • We see that you have MacOS 13.2 installed...... I have confirmed that Apple Crash report uploaded to this forum shows MacOS 13.2.1. Also, I have review that the computer and it also confirms MacOS 13.2.1
  • Contact vendor a second time......... I have been in contact frequently with Blackmagic Design since beginning of February, but they have not been able to solve why Fusion Studio crashes on launch.

I look forward to additional possible suggestions.

Don

Mar 19, 2023 6:47 PM in response to dialabrain

FWIW, is it not possible that there is bug someplace in the MacOS? In the alternative, is it not possible when the operating system was upgraded that something specific to my machine did not go correctly and is now causing a problem?

These are the kind of “outside the nine dots” ideas I am seeking?

After all, why does Apple bother generating crash reports on foreign software that are sent directly to Apple. I would expect that somebody at Apple is looking at these reports and asking themselves why and possibly may understand what is going on.

Don

Blackmagic Design Fusion Studio Crashes on Launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.