Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Help with Scrivener?

Hi there. I have an M1 MacBook Air that still operates on Big Sur (I haven't updated because the last time I did this with my old iMac, the whole thing died, so I'm a bit nervous to do so in case the same thing happens).

Anyway, I use Scrivener but today it refuses to open and continually sends crash reports to Apple whenever I try to reopen. I have asked Scrivener support but thought I'd get some opinions from here too!

This is a small section copy pasted from the crash report sent to Apple:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [1709]

I have no idea what any of this means. I'm wondering if I should just update my whole system, but obviously I'm really nervous to do that as I'm not sure updating from Big Sur to Sonoma will cause problems now.

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2023 2:07 PM

That particular crash indicates an attempt for the app to a protected area of memory. Doesn't really matter though, because it's something only its developer can fix. Try contacting them.

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 27, 2023 6:25 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

That particular crash indicates an attempt for the app to a protected area of memory. Doesn't really matter though, because it's something only its developer can fix. Try contacting them.

In particular, the application improperly tried to dereference a NULL pointer:

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000

A NULL pointer typically signifies "the end of this data structure" or "no auxiliary data structure". De-referencing the NULL pointer is a common type of bug. It's like trying to divide by 0, in mathematics. Most modern operating systems set up virtual address 0 to be invalid specifically to crash applications which exhibit this type of bug.

Help with Scrivener?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.