Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

padlock screen

so my MacBook Pro stopped working 3 years ago, yesterday I take it out, fire it up and its starts and goes to a padlock screen. at one point, it went to my user name and I entered my password and it booted up only half way on that little white line that goes under your name... and then shut off. Help

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 10:00 PM

Hi CJF1965,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: its starts and goes to a padlock screen. at one point, it went to my user name and I entered my password

Re: The Padlock screen:

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way – Apple Support

says:

"If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue".

Seems your Mac needed the firmware password (so may be trying to start up from MacOS Recovery)

All the best :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 17, 2023 10:00 PM in response to CJF1965

Hi CJF1965,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: its starts and goes to a padlock screen. at one point, it went to my user name and I entered my password

Re: The Padlock screen:

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way – Apple Support

says:

"If your Mac is using a firmware password, the lock icon appears when you try to start up from another disk or volume, such as an external drive or macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password to continue".

Seems your Mac needed the firmware password (so may be trying to start up from MacOS Recovery)

All the best :-)

padlock screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.