Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get my I phone to stop sharing iMessage with my Mac book?

How can I get my iPhone 13 to stop sharing messages with my macbook

iPhone 13

Posted on Mar 17, 2023 12:03 PM

5 replies

Mar 17, 2023 12:29 PM in response to Community User

I don't see it as a forwarding issue. If I have this setting on and I send a message on my phone or receive a message on my phone, it will show up on my Mac since it will be synced with iCloud and I have the same Apple ID on both the Mac and Phone.

With this setting off, the messages will no longer show on the Mac. Of course in that same iMessage tab I referenced before you will want to be sure just below the "Enable Messages in iCloud" where it says "You can be reached at:", that your phone number is not one of the locations checked.

This way you can use Messages on both devices signed into the same Apple ID with different conversations and no sharing of messages.

Mar 17, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Davis423

Disable Forward SMS on your iPhone and sign out of your Apple ID in Messages on your Mac.

First, on your iPhone go to:

Settings Messages SMS Forwarding → disable your Mac.

Then on your Mac:

Open the Messages app. Select Settings up in the top menu, click iMessages and select Sign Out.

Now you will no longer receive messages on your Mac.

Mar 17, 2023 12:44 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

Disabling Messages in iCloud will not prevent messages from being forwarded from iPhone to Mac. Neither iMessages nor normal Text Messages. It will only prevent the messages from syncing, so if you delete a message on your iPhone, it will also be deleted on your Mac. All messages will still be delivered unless SMS Forwarding is disabled on iPhone and iMessages is disabled on Mac. But you are absolutely right that if he deactivates his number in "You can be reached at" then he will not receive the messages sent to that number.

I may have misunderstood the Author, but as I understood it he did not want to receive messages from he iPhone on his Mac. But it's good to have more options.

How can I get my I phone to stop sharing iMessage with my Mac book?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.