Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook mirrores my iMac

I bought a MacBook Air. when I set it up it automatically connected to, and mirrors, my iMac. I don't want that to happen. can I change that and set it up as its own device?

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 7:02 PM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2023 7:08 PM in response to GeeBee800

I’m not entirely certain what you’re reporting is being mirrored; the storage, or a display.

Storage mirroring:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

See: Turn off Desktop and Documents

Display options:

Universal Control: Use a single keyboard and mouse between Mac and iPad - Apple Support

Use an iPad as a second display for a Mac - Apple Support

Mar 18, 2023 9:29 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks. What happened is that after I set up my MacBook from new, it was a direct reflection of my iMac. Home screen, apps, everything - it was just like sitting at my iMac. I deleted a few items from my home screen on the MacBook, and they also deleted from my iMac. I want my MacBook to be its own identity, and to have nothing to do with my iMac (unless I ask it to of course, like Airdrop etc.)

Mar 19, 2023 7:06 AM in response to GeeBee800

Okay, so this is storage and not display mirroring.

You have enabled what used to be called iCloud desktop.

That was the first guess, listed above. Turn that off.

Follow the linked procedure above to disable (and this with your existing contents), or you can wipe the Mac and start over without enabling that and without restoring a backup to become a completely distinct Mac sharing the same Apple ID.

There is a third option here, as macOS is fully multi-user. You can have a separate login for a different profile, and that login can be managed and operated completely separately, either with the same Apple ID and no iCloud desktop (for instance), or with a different Apple ID and no sharing (for instance). Multiple logins works great, so long as you have the storage for it.

MacBook mirrores my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.