Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Diagnostics hangs with "waiting for support" message

What do I do when my iMac 2019 apple diagnostics hangs with message "waiting for support"? It started fine by holding the D key while starting, went through some initial tests (no report) and asked if I wanted further tests, I said yes.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 18, 2023 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 1:47 AM

This article from Apple related to the Apple Hardware Test ( AHT ) features you are referring to in above question

link below

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt from above link

• Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 1:47 AM in response to jdh9846

This article from Apple related to the Apple Hardware Test ( AHT ) features you are referring to in above question

link below

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

Excerpt from above link

• Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

Mar 19, 2023 6:05 PM in response to jdh9846

That means that Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider started a service diagnostic session with the serial number of your laptop and never "archived" the session to release it. It may be that a tech entered an incorrect serial number for a diagnostic session which just happens to be the serial number for your laptop instead of the laptop intended.

Contact an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to start a service diagnostic session for your laptop, then have them "archive" the session which will allow your laptop to access the consumer level diagnostics.

Apple Diagnostics hangs with "waiting for support" message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.