Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text on photos disappear in iMovie for Mac.

I add text to my pictures in the photos app using the photo editor and the text shows in the "My Media" window in iMovie. But when I drag them down into the movie line the text is no longer there when using iMovie on my MacBook, but all works fine on my iPad. Why is the text disappearing on my Mac?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 9:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 19, 2023 11:13 AM

Others on this forum have observed that edits sometimes do not carry over from the Photos app to the iMovie timeline.

Meanwhile, a workaround is to do a File>Export>__ no. of photos from the Photos app to the desktop, and drag the photos from there into iMovie. The edits will carry over.

I believe also that you can open iMovie and the Photos app library side by side and drag the edited photos directly into iMovie. I'm not running Monterey or later, so cannot personally verify that. It works with Catalina.

-- Rich

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 19, 2023 11:13 AM in response to Wyliewilly

Others on this forum have observed that edits sometimes do not carry over from the Photos app to the iMovie timeline.

Meanwhile, a workaround is to do a File>Export>__ no. of photos from the Photos app to the desktop, and drag the photos from there into iMovie. The edits will carry over.

I believe also that you can open iMovie and the Photos app library side by side and drag the edited photos directly into iMovie. I'm not running Monterey or later, so cannot personally verify that. It works with Catalina.

-- Rich

Mar 19, 2023 10:10 AM in response to Wyliewilly

Hi, Wyliewilly,

Possibly an iMovie preference has gone awry. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie usually will open in a new empty library. If so, reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if your photo imports with the text on it. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

Text on photos disappear in iMovie for Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.