Sony Bravia TV and AppleTV 4K randomly restarting

So I have a Sony Bravia XR-75X90J Bravia 4K VH2. The OS of the Sony Bravia TV is Android 10 (Patch Level Sep. 1, 2022).

My AppleTV is fully updated as of this post.

Randomly (usually when streaming from the following Apps on the AppleTV: Hulu, YouTubeTV, Paramount+, and Peacock) the AppleTV will restart and the Sony Bravia TV will indicate the error message that there is no HDMI signal detected in the bottom left-hand side of the screen, and then the AppleTV reboots to the Home Screen.

This happens randomly throughout the day, and I’ve noticed it generally, but not always, occurs on the streaming applications mentioned above.

I have gone so far as purchasing a new AppleTV and buying multiple HDMI 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2 cords and the issue persisted.

There appear to be countless users with the same issue based on my review of threads on many different sites of users posting about the exact same problem yet no definitive solutions from Sony or Apple.

Since I have tried multiple troubleshooting steps related to the equipment, as well as a reset of each device, a video reset of each device, various combinations of BraviaSync and CEC settings (including turning all features off), connecting different brand TVs to my AppleTV (will now two of them in an effort to fix this problem) and have no problems with other TVs, and lastly the problem became so frustrating I have been using Nvidia Shield TV Pro for 4 days with absolutely no issues at all.

Therefore I can only conclude the issue is a video setting on the AppleTV 4K (again the latest generation and fully updated), and the Sony Bravia TV HDMI output settings. One or more of the video setting on the AppleTV and Sony Bravia TV have compatibility problem(s) that cause the Sony Bravia TV to believe the AppleTV 4K is no longer sending a signal upstream to the Sony Bravia TV.

Any help determine how the video or CEC settings (or both) are required to be set on each device to stop this absurd reboot loop would be extremely appreciated.

PS: to the user that keeps commenting that it has anything to do with internet networking issues, please refrain from commenting on this post. Networking has nothing to do with this very common issue.

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2023 11:19 PM

My Sony tv has this input error screen whenever I restart my Apple TV., which blinks when restarting. It’s indicating the device connected to that input is not turned on due to the restart in this case.

The ARC setting from the Apple TV is to use for HomePods Audio. I’m using it for HomePods. 

Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

I had noted some changes on mine following the last software update. My HomePods will keep getting turned on when I want tv speakers. Or it keeps turning on the Apple TV.  I’ve fiddled with so many settings that I might have messed things up. However, it’s possible that the next tvOS software release might address these issues. No idea when that will be. 

It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the logical troubleshooting steps. You might want to let Apple know via Feedback: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple and I sometimes call them to speak with an Advisor. They might be able to help. In N America , call 1-800-MY-APPLE

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 20, 2023 11:19 PM in response to VelaPyxis

My Sony tv has this input error screen whenever I restart my Apple TV., which blinks when restarting. It’s indicating the device connected to that input is not turned on due to the restart in this case.

The ARC setting from the Apple TV is to use for HomePods Audio. I’m using it for HomePods. 

Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

I had noted some changes on mine following the last software update. My HomePods will keep getting turned on when I want tv speakers. Or it keeps turning on the Apple TV.  I’ve fiddled with so many settings that I might have messed things up. However, it’s possible that the next tvOS software release might address these issues. No idea when that will be. 

It sounds like you’ve exhausted all the logical troubleshooting steps. You might want to let Apple know via Feedback: Feedback - Apple TV - Apple and I sometimes call them to speak with an Advisor. They might be able to help. In N America , call 1-800-MY-APPLE

May 3, 2023 12:40 PM in response to VelaPyxis

I have a similar issue with a 6 year old 75” Bravia TV (don’t recall the exact model). I use the Apple TV mainly because the older Sony TV’s don’t have the Apple TV+ or AMC+ apps. I also have the Sony HTST5000 sound bar. So nearly every time I start the system with the ATV it caused the TV to reboot and then it works fine. If it doesn’t reboot on startup it usually does within 30 minutes. The notion that it’s cabling or network issues doesn’t make sense. I suspect the Sony firmware needs an upgrade, and since its older models that are affected that Sony is in no hurry to fix the issue. I also use an ATV with a TCL TV with no issues.

Mar 20, 2023 2:12 PM in response to VelaPyxis

I have a Sony Bravia X90K hooked up to the ATV 4k 2021 model and not experiencing this issue. I have my HDMI cable connected from my ATV directly into the eARC port (HDMI 3) on the Sony tv port. There should be other HDMI ports on your tv to test out. Ensure the HDMI cables are secured on both ends and not positioned kinked or bent

When my ATV goes to sleep the tv shuts off. So if it’s restarting, is the Apple TV indicator light flashing? It’s not just gone to sleep correct?

• Have you tried restarting your Sony? Press the power button on its remote for about 5 seconds to restart.
  • In Apple TV there’s a setting to test the HDMI connection. In Settings - Video and Audio.

Mar 20, 2023 7:17 PM in response to Vancouver22

Thank you for the reply. Here is exactly what is occurring.

The Sony Bravia X90J screen goes completely black (but never turns off as the LED on the Sony Bravia remains lit), and then a screen with an error message in the bottom right corner of the screen appears (see image).

ATV 4K 2021 ("ATV") light begins to blink briefly and is then solid. Next, the Apple logo appears, and my ATV home screen appears. This series of events occurs each time, as described when the ATV randomly restarts.

I have done some extensive troubleshooting, which includes plugging the ATV in the eARC/ARC HDMI input, the 4k 120hz HDMI input just below it, and the top two HDMI inputs. It happens regardless of the HDMI input I use on the Sony Bravia. Moreover, I have a Sonos Arc sound bar, which, correct me if I am wrong, should be utilizing the eARC HDMI input. If I attempt to plug the Sonos Arc into any other HDMI input on the Sony Bravia, I receive a warning message instructing me to plug the sound bar into the eARC HDMI input. When I first purchased the ATV, I had everything working great for 6+ months with the ATV plugged into the 4K 120hz HDMI input, and the Sonos Arc plugged into the eARC HDMI input. This is why I originally assumed there had to be a hardware issue I purchased a brand new ATV (same model), and the new ATV restarted within 30 minutes of setting it up.

I have attempted restarting, and even multiple factory resets, on the ATV, TV, and soundbar to no avail. The problem has persisted . (Side Note: Sony's documentation on the X90J advises unplugging the TV for 5 minutes rather than depressing the power button for 5 seconds to restart the TV to troubleshoot input-related issues best.) I tried both methods and neither worked.

And lastly, I have performed the HDMI test on the ATV many, many times. Every test indicates that everything "looks good."

Apr 3, 2023 5:35 PM in response to VelaPyxis

I occasionally have this issue, too. I haven't figured out what's causing it, but I'm usually able to stop it from happening for a matter of days or even weeks by changing the output on the TV from whichever the ATV is plugged into and then changing it back again. I've tried every combo of video settings I can think of with no success. I really hope there's a fix soon.

Apr 23, 2024 4:56 AM in response to phillip9

I had the same problem, with the AppleTV constantly turning off the Bravia. This began after a hard reset on the AppleTV (pulling the plug) to try to get another problem (delayed music playback from my Mac) to go away. The shutdown problem cropped up after two years of everything working properly.

Eventually, during an attempt to resolve the djiyfpem issue, I received a message from the AppleTV that the remote was very low, and that the AppleTV was going to shut itself off. I charged the remote, and the problem went away. The AppleTV no longer shuts down the Bravia.

Try charging the remote, as unlikely as that sounds.

Sony Bravia TV and AppleTV 4K randomly restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.