Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop others from accessing the “play sound” button on find my device?

Recently, my family have been abusing the “play sound” feature, playing sounds when I’m having important meetings as a prank. Is there a way I could turn off that feature but still retain the location functionality?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 1:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 1:51 AM

Okay, if you use Family Sharing, that feature cannot be deactivated, even if you choose not to share your location, they will still be able to "help" find a lost device, for example by playing a sound. I think the only solution is a good conversation with your family.

If you don't share your location, family members can't access location information about your device. However, family members can still help you. They can check your missing device's online or offline status, play a sound on the device, put the device in Lost Mode, or remotely erase the device.

Source: Apple Support.

You can find more information here:

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2023 1:51 AM in response to Jandah

Okay, if you use Family Sharing, that feature cannot be deactivated, even if you choose not to share your location, they will still be able to "help" find a lost device, for example by playing a sound. I think the only solution is a good conversation with your family.

If you don't share your location, family members can't access location information about your device. However, family members can still help you. They can check your missing device's online or offline status, play a sound on the device, put the device in Lost Mode, or remotely erase the device.

Source: Apple Support.

You can find more information here:

Share your location with your family - Apple Support

Mar 21, 2023 1:26 AM in response to Jandah

It is not possible to disable the Play Sound function.

However, it is only possible to do this from devices that are signed in to your Apple ID. So you can ensure that your family does not have access to iPhone, iPad and Macs that are signed in with your Apple ID. You can also change the passcode for those devices so they don't have access.

Alternatively, you can set up Guided Access, on iPhone and iPad. With Guided Access, you can prevent your family from using apps other than the one they have open. For example, if they are playing a game, then with Guided Access you can prevent this game from being left.

You will find Guided Access here:

Settings Accessibility Guided Access

You can find more information about Guided Access here:

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

How do I stop others from accessing the “play sound” button on find my device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.