Random Heart Rate Dips on Apple Watch

I've read a lot about random heart rate spikes, but I get the exact opposite. Usually once or twice a day I have just ONE background reading in the low 40s quickly in between normal readings. This looks somehow like that: 65 - 68 - 65 - 41 - 63. It only happens with background readings, continuous readings are always normal. Picture attached from today's incident for reference.

I have gone back in the Health app and looked and it looks like this has happened off and on since 2019. It comes and goes, some days having one or two and other days having none. Is it my heart or just this stupid watch? I have no other symptoms other than the Anxiety it is now causing. :-/ Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch SE

Posted on Mar 21, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2024 2:11 PM

This makes me feel so much better. I honestly wouldn’t notice any dips or spikes if I didn’t look at the history and data. I truly am data driven person so this drives me crazy. I have dips from 41 to 175 yesterday. I thought maybe I had an afib episode and didn’t recognize it! But I never got any alerts and I had a great day. I wouldn’t have even known if not for the history. I do wear my watch extremely tight …. I feel so much better reading some of these comments.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2024 2:11 PM in response to Smiliexx

This makes me feel so much better. I honestly wouldn’t notice any dips or spikes if I didn’t look at the history and data. I truly am data driven person so this drives me crazy. I have dips from 41 to 175 yesterday. I thought maybe I had an afib episode and didn’t recognize it! But I never got any alerts and I had a great day. I wouldn’t have even known if not for the history. I do wear my watch extremely tight …. I feel so much better reading some of these comments.

May 4, 2024 10:56 PM in response to sTeaLthLynk

For anyone finding this over a year later. It has never come to anything. It still happens almost daily if I go check my daily ranges. This is clearly not a real reading as I workout 4-6 times per week and do several sports through the week with a high heart rate. I never have problems. Rest assured, these monitors are far from perfect. You’re fine!

Apr 19, 2023 1:44 PM in response to sTeaLthLynk

Hi there!

I have also had this issue. I never really paid attention to my Apple Watch heart rate until I had COVID.

I started to pay attention and noticed these random spikes. I went back into my history, and it looks like this has been happening randomly ever since I had my Apple Watch.

I did speak to my cardiologist about this and even wore a holter monitor because of it and it all came back normal.

My cardiologist told me it must be artifact meaning that it has something to do with the Apple Watch reading.

When I see these pop up on my watch, it scares me for a second, but there were no symptoms involved and my HR went back to normal.

Just today a few minutes ago, it showed my HR go 87-90-42-97 and I was in the car driving to target. So I’m not sure if this is something in the way I am wearing my watch, or if I am moving a certain way that causes it.

Apr 19, 2023 6:17 PM in response to chrissotello

Basically, if you see it actually tracking at that rate continuously while you are super light headed, super sweaty, vision problems, or if you pass out… go to a hospital. Otherwise, if you never notice anything at all and it is just background readings, it’s probably fake. One doctor told me if you’re healthy then it could be you were just super relaxed for a bit and your heart did that. I can get my rate down to the 50s if I’m really relaxed. It’s not a huge stretch to hit the mid 40s. I looked and it has happened since 2019 for a few different watches for me and I’ve never noticed anything. It’s likely how the watches work on me. Something I do probably causes anomalies. Like holding my hand weirdly or something.

May 10, 2023 10:12 AM in response to chrissotello

Currently awaiting a cardiologist appointment on 5/17 for the same concern!! I am 7 weeks postpartum and I did not work out AT all during my pregnancy so I know I can’t be having these random dips due to fitness level. The readings are never consistent enough to alarm me with the 10 minute setting. They’re random throughout the day. My heartbeat remains low consistently at night. Ranging from 50-60 BPMs. But what’s concerning is the random dips and sometimes spikes. Neither with symptoms.

Mar 21, 2023 4:58 PM in response to sTeaLthLynk

Wearing your Apple Watch with the right fit — not too tight, not too loose, and with room for your skin to breathe — keeps you comfortable and lets the sensors do their jobs. For best results, the back of your Apple Watch needs skin contact for features like Wrist Detect, the Taptic Engine, and the electrical and optical heart sensors.  For more info, see:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Even under ideal conditions, Apple Watch may not be able to get a reliable heart rate reading every time for everybody. For more info, see:

Monitor your heart rate with Apple Watch - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2024 2:52 PM in response to sTeaLthLynk

I've had this issue as well. Looking back in my Apple Watch heart rate monitor history, there have been multiple times when my heart rate monitor has spiked into the 150s, 160s, and 170s and it's not due to exercise. The worst was last week when the heart rate monitor spiked to 192 and back down less than a minute later while I was taking a shower. After that episode, I wore my wife's Apple Watch on my other wrist to compare. Both had unusual spikes to the 130s at the same time and immediately back down to normal while I was sitting down so it's not specifically my watch. I have also calibrated my Apple Watch heart rate monitor against UCSF hospital equipment and it is exactly the same readings - sometimes off by one beat but quickly realigns which is probably just a timing issue. I have an Apple Watch 6 and wear it using the same wrist strap hole every time. No tattoos. My normal resting heart rate is between 65-70 and most of the time the heart rate monitor is accurate. Seems like a bug in the software.

May 7, 2024 12:15 PM in response to Carterpup

I have talked to a few doctors and all of them said that if this was ACTUALLY happening you would be nearly fainting, having lightheadedness, or something else extreme that makes it obvious. The watch is almost certainly misreading. It freaked me out for awhile and I stopped checking cause it is always there and nothing wrong. You are good!

Random Heart Rate Dips on Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.