Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay adapter

I've bought a new Mazda cx-30 and wanted to enable CarPlay. I did it with no issues when my phone was connected via cable.

When I disconnected cable CarPlay automatically disconnected too.

My question: is CarPlay supported only via cable?

Is it correct that only using CarPlay wireless adapter support wireless connection?

Thanks

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 22, 2023 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2023 5:31 AM

I have two users to drive the car I.e. myself and my wife.

E.g. if I drive the car and use CarPlay it works fine. The problem is that next time my wife is driving the car alone adapter fails to connect to her phone. It looks like it still has ‘memory' of connection to my phone. 

Only new pair her phone to adapter or even pull out and back adapter USB might help. 

Could it be defective adapter? Should I replace it for another one (it’s still under the warranty) or try another adapter brand?

Is it rather phone or CarPlay issue?

Thanks

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2023 5:31 AM in response to Community User

I have two users to drive the car I.e. myself and my wife.

E.g. if I drive the car and use CarPlay it works fine. The problem is that next time my wife is driving the car alone adapter fails to connect to her phone. It looks like it still has ‘memory' of connection to my phone. 

Only new pair her phone to adapter or even pull out and back adapter USB might help. 

Could it be defective adapter? Should I replace it for another one (it’s still under the warranty) or try another adapter brand?

Is it rather phone or CarPlay issue?

Thanks

Mar 22, 2023 4:21 PM in response to susja

CarPlay can be used both with a cable and wirelessly via Bluetooth. Not all cars support Wireless CarPlay from the factory.

If your car has CarPlay and it only works with a cable, then it is possible to buy a kind of "wireless box", which is plugged into the car's USB, and that way you can use Apple CarPlay wirelessly.

My wife uses one like this in her car as it only supports CarPlay via cable:

If your car supports Wireless CarPlay, you can see how to set it up here:

How to connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your car - Apple Support

CarPlay adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.