Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV says I have too many devices

When I try to play anything on Apple TV I getting a message saying I'm using too many devices. I checked and I only have 3 devices listed. Neither of the other two is using, or has ever been used for, Apple TV. I've tried rebooting. I've tried removing the other devices. No luck. I still get the message. What can I try next?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 23, 2023 9:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 4:56 AM

Playing Apple TV+ content is allow on a limited number of devices per subscription for simultaneous use. That includes Family Sharing (i.e. devices from other users in your group). Other Apple TV app Channels may have other limits. Other streaming services may also have other limits. Rented movies allow one device for streaming and one device for download (offline use).

Download and stream shows, movies, and events from Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and Apple TV channels - Apple Support

Downloaded content from the iTunes Store and other media though Apple services require an “authorized” computer or “associated” mobile device. Those have limits too. That is separate from online streaming, though.

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

View and remove your devices that are associated with Apple ID purchases - Apple Support

So what content were you trying to stream? From Apple TV+?

Have you tried quitting the TV app on other devices where you were signed in, and have you tried signing out of forgotten/​overlooked devices that you are not using anymore/​at this time? Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 4:56 AM in response to R_Roe_100

Playing Apple TV+ content is allow on a limited number of devices per subscription for simultaneous use. That includes Family Sharing (i.e. devices from other users in your group). Other Apple TV app Channels may have other limits. Other streaming services may also have other limits. Rented movies allow one device for streaming and one device for download (offline use).

Download and stream shows, movies, and events from Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and Apple TV channels - Apple Support

Downloaded content from the iTunes Store and other media though Apple services require an “authorized” computer or “associated” mobile device. Those have limits too. That is separate from online streaming, though.

Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

View and remove your devices that are associated with Apple ID purchases - Apple Support

So what content were you trying to stream? From Apple TV+?

Have you tried quitting the TV app on other devices where you were signed in, and have you tried signing out of forgotten/​overlooked devices that you are not using anymore/​at this time? Check your Apple ID device list to find where you're signed in - Apple Support

Apple TV says I have too many devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.