Apple Music not connecting to Alexa or Kids Echo Dot

Not a question, but hope this helps those searching for answers!!

😵‍💫🥴😵‍💫🥴

TLDR:

It is a bit of a pain to have to do this, but it is the only work around I have found when it comes to the Kids Echo Dot and an Apple Music disconnection. All “Kids” restrictions and options need turned off and the device completely reset/Deregistered from account…..before Apple Music will reconnect.

😵‍💫🥴😵‍💫🥴

We have the “All-New Echo Dot (5th Gen, 2022 release) Kids | Designed for kids, with parental controls | Owl”. We recieved Christmas 2022 and had similar issues connecting Apple Music until I killed all the Amazon Kids options and age/content filters.

If Apple Music won’t connect or has disconnected….here is what we had to do to reconnect!

🌙Alexa App

-Make sure you connect the device (phone/iPad/whatever device) you are using to the Echo Dot by Bluetooth. 

-Remove/Disable Skill Apple Music from Echo Dot in the Alexa App.

-Deregister the Echo Dot from your account. (uggg I know, right?)

Under “Shortcuts”➡️”Device Settings”➡️”Echo Dot’s Name”➡️Cog Wheel in upper Right➡️Scroll to bottom “Registered To” click Deregister.

-The Echo Dot will tell you it is deregistering the device and will take a minute. Keep the Alexa App open. Once it is finished, it will automatically start to register and go through setup. Follow the setup options in the Alexa App.

-Once it is done with setup, including the Amazon Kids Setup (just follow it and choose or creeate “Child Name”). In the Alexa App go to “Echo Dot Settings” and Disable “Amazon Kids” mode. (same settings page as you deregistered above)

Go To:

👦🏻Amazon Kids Parent Dashboardhttps://www.amazon.com/parentdashboard/  )

-Turn off any age (content) restriction. Click the cog wheel for settings and under “Adjust Age Filter and Theme” turn off “Age Filter”

-THIS NEXT OPTION WILL NOT ACTUALLY INTERFERE WITH CONNECTING APPLE MUSIC.

It just determines if

“Play -Artist Name-”

“Play Radio Station -Artist Name-”

“Play -Song-”

will come from Amazon Music or Apple Music.

Keeping this on will limit certain songs based on ratings if you are worried about content in songs your kids hear or ask for.

——

If you WANT ALL MUSIC to come from Apple Music and have a Kids Echo Dot.

Back under “child settings”, click “Echo Dot” or the name you gave the device. Click “Manage Music” and turn off the slider for “Amazon Music”.

🌙Alexa App

-Click “More” at bottom right, then “Skills & Games” scroll the Blue Options to see “Music & Audio” and choose “Apple Music”. “Enable to Use” and it should automatically go into connecting it and asking to login into Apple to connect Apple Music to Alexa.

-Once Apple Music is connected, go to “Music Settings” then “Family Default Settings” set “Apple Music” as the default for “Music” and “Artists and Genres Stations” (it may ask you to set this automatically after connecting Apple Music)

🦉Echo Dot

-HERE YOU CAN CHECK IF IT PULLS APPLE MUSIC.

“Alexa Play -Name of Artist-“ (plays just that artist)

“Alexa Play Radio Station -Name of Artist-“ (plays that artist and similar artists)

“Alexa Play Song -Name of Song-“

“Alexa Play Playlist -Name of Playlist-“

These should now pull from Apple Music instead of Amazon Music.

If it works, continue on.🥴 (yay🎉)

If not, start over…..❌🤬❌ and I am sorry if it doesn’t work, this worked for us when Apple Music Disconnected on 3/23/23.

🌙Alexa App

-Go back to “Echo Dot Settings” and set “Amazon Kids” Mode to “Enabled”

👦🏻Amazon Kids Parent Dashboard

-Hit the cog wheel and make sure under “Alexa Settings” “Manage Music” that it shows “Apple Music” with a blue switch on and check mark.

-Click “Home” at top left (it’s very small) to Go back to main Parent Dashboard page. Click the cog wheel again and now you can set the “Adjust Age Filter and Theme” anywhere between the age of 2 to 13+, depending on what content you want available, this way if your child asks the Kids Echo Dot Questions/Jokes/Etc. it is age appropriate.

-Now everything should be back to normal. Apple Music should work, the “Owl” or “Kids Echo Dot” Voice should be back (our son likes the Owl Voice vs the normal Alexa Voice) and if he asks for jokes or any other questions it will be age appropriate.

😵‍💫🥴😵‍💫🥴

I hope they (Apple or Amazon) can fix this issue, though that seems like a dream.

This is quite the task at 8:30pm at night while trying to get our son to sleep, then finding out I have to fix his Owl Echo Dot to play his Apple Music Playlist for his Bedtime/Overnight Music when we are trying to get him to bed.

💜ML💜

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 9:17 AM

I really hope these instructions help someone/everyone a bit of the headache, stress, and the general annoyance when Apple Music won’t Connect with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot. Especially if you have a Kids Profile on your Amazon Account or you have the Kids Echo Dot. Everything else I tried, such as Disabling the Apple Music Skill, Turning off all Child Filters, Unplugging the Kids Echo Dot, and Relinking Apple Music would just NOT WORK. Apparently Deregistering the device was the MAGIC KEY to getting Apple Music to connect and work again.

💜ML💜

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2023 9:17 AM in response to manda160

I really hope these instructions help someone/everyone a bit of the headache, stress, and the general annoyance when Apple Music won’t Connect with Amazon Alexa Echo Dot. Especially if you have a Kids Profile on your Amazon Account or you have the Kids Echo Dot. Everything else I tried, such as Disabling the Apple Music Skill, Turning off all Child Filters, Unplugging the Kids Echo Dot, and Relinking Apple Music would just NOT WORK. Apparently Deregistering the device was the MAGIC KEY to getting Apple Music to connect and work again.

💜ML💜

Apr 16, 2023 3:59 PM in response to manda160

we have a Family subscription with Apple Music. I can link my account, my husband’s account and my 16 year olds account to Alexa without issue. My 10 year kid’s Apple Music account will not link. The issue has to be with Apple and a restriction they have with accounts for those under 13. I have messed with the parental controls and screen time settings on my 10 yo account, but I was not able to get it linked. Once you have an Apple Music account linked under Family in the Alexa app, you can enable it for Echo Kids under the parental dashboard. I did not want to link my account as the content my kid listens to on his echo shows up under my listening history and skews what Apple recommends for me on my Apple devices. In the end, my 16 year old’s account is now the linked family account for all of our Alexa devices because he prefers Spotify on his own devices. Not ideal, per se, but it works.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.