You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup issue with new iPad Gen10

Hello, I'm stuck in a loop during the setup process. After choosing how to move apps & data to my new iPad (and I've now done it many times; doesn't matter what my choice is on that screen, even if I choose don't transfer apps & data) I'm prompted to enter my Apple ID & Password. I enter that (successfully; I've purposely entered a bad password to verify) and then I get a popup "Software Update Required - Update this iPad to the latest version o iPadOS to sign in. You can do this in Settings after setting up this iPad."

I choose OK, and I'm right back at the Apple ID screen. I can either choose Next and get the same popup or Back. That keeps me on the Apps/Data transfer screen. No matter my choice there, I'm brought back to the Apple ID screen. Choosing next gets me the popup again.

Any thoughts? I'm in a loop and I can't get out!

Thanks.

iPad (10th generation)

Posted on Mar 24, 2023 7:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 12:54 PM

My problem was trying to setup my new IPad too; I did almost everything good until I try to sign for ICloud to transfer history from my IPhone and old IPad and signed with wrong email so my screen stayed stocked trying to recovered history but not working. Now I can’t go anywhere. Can somebody help me?

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 25, 2023 12:54 PM in response to Mikev58

My problem was trying to setup my new IPad too; I did almost everything good until I try to sign for ICloud to transfer history from my IPhone and old IPad and signed with wrong email so my screen stayed stocked trying to recovered history but not working. Now I can’t go anywhere. Can somebody help me?

Feb 27, 2024 6:06 AM in response to davibubb

davibubb wrote:

I have the same problem and cannot turn off or go anywhere Help please anyone

If your iPad is unresponsive, perform a forced-restart of the iPad.

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you may need to seek assistance directly from Apple Support.

You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Apr 29, 2024 8:33 AM in response to Mikev58

Feel your pain. Ive quickly set up 10 ipads and iphones over the years and never had such a convoluted process as this one is giving me today. Been messing with it for 3 hours now. You would think Apple might include a written Quick Start guide in the box explaining you can't use an existing iPad with current iOS because it won't match the iPad new in the box.

I got it updated by powering down, restarting, signing in, doing the update, then resetting it to erase all content. Then the old ipad could no longer connect to the new onw with quick start. So now trying to install using the old ipads backup. Crossing my fingers.

Mar 27, 2024 1:35 AM in response to Mikev58

We bought 2 IPad 10th gen 256GB and received it today as a surprise gift to my 2 kids. Unfortunately 1 tablet cant complete the set-up, similar issue above which hang up somewhere during set-up process. We keep repeating the reboot key and redo the set-up again and end up same hang-up results. We ordered March8 and kids really excited to get their new IPAD but end up 1 will get upset. I need some help asap. By the way, my kids name were engrave, and by replacing this IPAD might take too long again to wait.

Setup issue with new iPad Gen10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.