How can i find what’s draining the battery during sleep?

MBP 13" M2.

The battery drains almost completely after some hour in sleep mode.

I've installed the Bluesnoose app, to disconnect Bluetooth. It improved a little but didn’t solve the problem.

And the battery settings is not giving relevant information, as you can see form the printscreen.

"No Apps Using Significant Energy". No Screen Usage...

Where can I look to understand what’s the issue?

Must I report it to Apple's technical support?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 9:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 8:56 AM

Definitely, the USB-C Hub/adapter is the responsible for the battery drain.

Here's an example of a few hours with the Hub connected (only the Hub, nothing else connected to it).

And the rest of the time, with nothing connected.

With the Hub connected it drops around 4% per hour.

Thanks @leroydouglas for the help and the great tips. (And thanks also @sunny_mike, of course).

Mystery solved.

I hope this thread can help somebody else with a similar problem.

Mainly for users of Mac models with only USB-C connection and that use connectors that are not self-powered.

I didn’t see this detail mentioned in any review or presentation related to the Macbook 13"'s or the Macbook Air's.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 8:56 AM in response to leroydouglas

Definitely, the USB-C Hub/adapter is the responsible for the battery drain.

Here's an example of a few hours with the Hub connected (only the Hub, nothing else connected to it).

And the rest of the time, with nothing connected.

With the Hub connected it drops around 4% per hour.

Thanks @leroydouglas for the help and the great tips. (And thanks also @sunny_mike, of course).

Mystery solved.

I hope this thread can help somebody else with a similar problem.

Mainly for users of Mac models with only USB-C connection and that use connectors that are not self-powered.

I didn’t see this detail mentioned in any review or presentation related to the Macbook 13"'s or the Macbook Air's.

Mar 25, 2023 10:41 AM in response to valdemarpm

valdemarpm wrote:

MBP 13" M2.
The battery drains almost completely after some hour in sleep mode.
I've installed the Bluesnoose app, to disconnect Bluetooth. It improved a little but didn’t solve the problem.

And the battery settings is not giving relevant information, as you can see form the printscreen.
"No Apps Using Significant Energy". No Screen Usage...

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/23eea0a1-3bcd-43a4-a46b-b53570f96e17

Where can I look to understand what’s the issue?
Must I report it to Apple's technical support?

Thanks

Did you try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies

Mar 28, 2023 12:26 PM in response to valdemarpm

valdemarpm wrote:

I'm not sure how to get more information in Safe Mode, but I've switched to Safe Mode and let it sleeping for 18 hours.
I didn’t open any app or done anything.

It went from 95% to 55%.

Is this normal? Or is it too much?

Safeboot and restart in normal mode does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc.,... in & out no need to log in here. That's it.

Check your Battery>Options and turn off most everything here and compare your results:

Bluetooth and Wifi are needed for most all Continuity features, I would never recommend disabling bluetooth

Use Continuity to work across Apple devices

I will add—

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes,  security updates  is macOS Ventura 13.3  

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura

What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura - Apple Support

Mar 31, 2023 9:08 AM in response to leroydouglas

@leroydouglas

I'm starting to think that this is related to the external connector or maybe the Time Machine.

I have the Mac connected with a multi connection Hub.

Connected to the Hud I have:

• An external monitor via HDMI
  • An additional USB Hub that, from there I connect:
    • A Logitech USB mouse connector.
    • An external HDD.
    • This HDD is divided in two partitions. One of them is used for the Time Machine.

If I left all this connected, the battery drains much more than if the Mac is not connected to the Hub at all.

Does this make sense?

Mar 29, 2023 12:01 AM in response to valdemarpm

If your battery is draining quickly even in sleep mode, despite using Bluesnooze app and with no apps using significant energy, here are some steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Update your operating system and apps: Make sure that your device's operating system and all apps are up-to-date. Sometimes, bugs or issues can be fixed with updates.

2. Check your battery health: It is possible that your battery's health is degraded and needs to be replaced. You can check the battery health on an iPhone by going to Settings > Battery > Battery Health.

3. Check for background activity: Some apps may continue to run in the background, even when you put your device in sleep mode. Check if there are any apps that are consuming battery in the background. You can do this by going to Settings > Battery and checking the Battery Usage section.

4. Disable unnecessary features: Some features like Wi-Fi, cellular data, and location services can consume battery even when your device is in sleep mode. Try disabling these features when you are not using them.

5. Reset your device's settings: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting your device's settings. This will reset all your settings to default, but it will not erase any data on your device. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings.

If none of these steps work, you may want to consider taking your device to a professional to get it checked for hardware issues.

Mar 31, 2023 12:12 PM in response to valdemarpm

valdemarpm wrote:

@leroydouglas
I'm starting to think that this is related to the external connector or maybe the Time Machine.
I have the Mac connected with a multi connection Hub.

Connected to the Hud I have:

An external monitor via HDMI
• An additional USB Hub that, from there I connect:
• A Logitech USB mouse connector.
• An external HDD.
• This HDD is divided in two partitions. One of them is used for the Time Machine.

If I left all this connected, the battery drains much more than if the Mac is not connected to the Hub at all.

Does this make sense?

Yes...

unplug all third party peripherals to test, yes.

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

How can i find what’s draining the battery during sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.