Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an older iMac running mojave 10.14.6g

I suspect this computer is infected with malware. Runs very slowly and seems to not have as much memory, 8GB, as it should. I tried upgrading to the new system but it got stuck. Now if I try to upgrade it says it doesn't have room on the hard drive because the first try is still there partially installed.

I want to get a new computer. But if I just load the new computer from the old I'll be moving the malware and the stuck operating system. Mostly I care about my music, Apple Music with thousands of my personal music and music from Apple Music, and my photos.

What is the best advice for doing this. Should I take my computer to the Apple Store when I buy a new computer and try to get them to do it for me? Should I visit the Genius Bar?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted on Mar 25, 2023 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2023 10:52 AM

Thanks are there malware programs that can be trusted.

Yes. In fact, Malwarebytes is often considered to be the only trusted anti-malware utility for Mac.

Doing it one file at a time it worries me that I might skip important files for the operating system.

Your new Mac will have an installation of macOS preinstalled. Regardless if you perform a migration with Migration Assistant or manually move your files, you're only moving your user content. No migration process moves macOS itself.

Hope this helps!

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2023 10:52 AM in response to John Franz

Thanks are there malware programs that can be trusted.

Yes. In fact, Malwarebytes is often considered to be the only trusted anti-malware utility for Mac.

Doing it one file at a time it worries me that I might skip important files for the operating system.

Your new Mac will have an installation of macOS preinstalled. Regardless if you perform a migration with Migration Assistant or manually move your files, you're only moving your user content. No migration process moves macOS itself.

Hope this helps!

Jack

Mar 25, 2023 6:52 PM in response to John Franz

Hi there!

If you suspect you have malware, you can remove it with Malwarebytes for Mac.

When you get a new Mac, you can use Migration Assistant to copy all of your documents, apps, user accounts, and settings to a new Mac from another computer.

Move content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Or, if you'd prefer to start over, you can manually move your files to the new Mac by using an external disk.

If you subscribe to Apple Music, all your playlists will automatically become available on your new Mac when you sign in.

Use Sync Library to access your music library across your devices - Apple Support

Jack

I have an older iMac running mojave 10.14.6g

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.