Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with AirTag accuracy

Over the past few days, I’ve had accuracy problems in Find My:

• We spent about five minutes hunting for my wife’s car in a parking lot — something I’d promised my wife could never happen because I left an AirTag dangling from the rear-view mirror. Standing in the middle of a half-dozen empty parking spaces, Find My promised the AirTag was “with me,” even though we weren’t even close enough for the key fob’s panic button to work. My wife eventually found the car about 30 yards away. As I walked over to it, I watched the AirTag’s reported location change to stay beside my blue dot.

• Another AirTag, attached to the rear-view mirror in my car, is currently reporting its precise location as the middle of a retention pond across the street from the parking lot where my son is at school.

• My son’s phone’s “Live” location is being reported as the campus parking lot, even though he’s currently in class in a building on campus.

All of these reported locations are roughly a city block away from their actual locations, and consistently to the south. Has anyone else had problems like this? I’ve had great luck using Find My and AirTags before, but right now they seem almost useless.

AirTag

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 6:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 7:21 AM

Thanks for a very well-written post.

Comparing AirTags and an iPhone is like comparing an Orange to an Oak Tree. (they’re THAT different)

Perhaps a quick primer on Airtags would help here:

An AirTag has ZERO self-locating capability.

An AirTag can NOT communicate via cellular or WiFi.

An AirTag DOES know when it’s being moved. (internal accelerometer).

An AirTag only transmits it’s bluetooth beacon intermittantly … nothing even close to continuously. (this is needed to stretch-out the life it’s tiny battery for a year or-so)

Locating:

The FindMy network depends on another nearby “cooperating” Apple device hearing the intermittent beacon; supplying it’s own position data, encrypting the “package” and then relaying this data package to Apple’s FindMy servers …

… allowing your own mobile device to pull your AirTag’s location from the FindMy network.

So … if an Airtag’s intermittent beacon is not “heard and relayed” by another device it’s location will not be updated.

The corollary of this mechanism is that the reported position of the AirTag is only as good as the position of the device making the report. (e.g. some device apparently thought it was out in that reservoir at the instant when it made that report)

A bit more detailed explanation of the processes is available here:

Using Find My to locate missing Apple devices – Apple Support (AU)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 7:21 AM in response to mgrad92

Thanks for a very well-written post.

Comparing AirTags and an iPhone is like comparing an Orange to an Oak Tree. (they’re THAT different)

Perhaps a quick primer on Airtags would help here:

An AirTag has ZERO self-locating capability.

An AirTag can NOT communicate via cellular or WiFi.

An AirTag DOES know when it’s being moved. (internal accelerometer).

An AirTag only transmits it’s bluetooth beacon intermittantly … nothing even close to continuously. (this is needed to stretch-out the life it’s tiny battery for a year or-so)

Locating:

The FindMy network depends on another nearby “cooperating” Apple device hearing the intermittent beacon; supplying it’s own position data, encrypting the “package” and then relaying this data package to Apple’s FindMy servers …

… allowing your own mobile device to pull your AirTag’s location from the FindMy network.

So … if an Airtag’s intermittent beacon is not “heard and relayed” by another device it’s location will not be updated.

The corollary of this mechanism is that the reported position of the AirTag is only as good as the position of the device making the report. (e.g. some device apparently thought it was out in that reservoir at the instant when it made that report)

A bit more detailed explanation of the processes is available here:

Using Find My to locate missing Apple devices – Apple Support (AU)

Problem with AirTag accuracy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.