AirTags "found" but not found

Hi, I'm curious about what might be going on with a missing AirTag. This tag was attached to my dog's collar--but he was running outside of our house and lost the collar somewhere. It can't be too far from our house and the strange thing is that I keep seeing the tag's location on the "find my" app...looking at the map, I see the "found item" at an address down the street from me--it appears to be on the sidewalk or perhaps in the road itself. But the address itself changes, from 200 yards away from me to 450 yards, and back and forth, over time. I walk down there to whichever address is currently on the map and try to play the sound, but then it says the AirTag is "not reachable." I've written the collar off as lost, unless one of the neighbors finds it somewhere, but I'm just very curious about what might be going on. This does not match how I think I understand AirTags to work. Thanks--

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 9:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 9:00 AM

Dallas I'm having the EXACT same problem and for almost the exact same reason. In my case the ring fell apart from the dog's collar, losing the Airtag along with the id tag, rabies tag, and microchip tag. I found all 3 of them this morning on my back patio, but the airtag is nowhere to be found and it should have been right with these 3 tags. My phone can't find it, yet it keeps telling me it here with me. It makes no sense to me how it can be reading the tag to send me information that it's located but yet won't read it to do an actual location. It HAS to be in my SMALL back yard in the open, but I can't find it and the Iphone is worthless at locating it. Very frustrating.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2024 9:00 AM in response to Dallas Clemmons

Dallas I'm having the EXACT same problem and for almost the exact same reason. In my case the ring fell apart from the dog's collar, losing the Airtag along with the id tag, rabies tag, and microchip tag. I found all 3 of them this morning on my back patio, but the airtag is nowhere to be found and it should have been right with these 3 tags. My phone can't find it, yet it keeps telling me it here with me. It makes no sense to me how it can be reading the tag to send me information that it's located but yet won't read it to do an actual location. It HAS to be in my SMALL back yard in the open, but I can't find it and the Iphone is worthless at locating it. Very frustrating.

Jul 27, 2023 9:38 AM in response to Dallas Clemmons

An Apple AirTag uses Bluetooth to send it location. An iPhone (yours or someone else's) must be within 30-40' of the AirTag to pick up that signal. In turn, that location information is forwarded to the Apple servers. That is where you can "see" it in the Find My app.

AirTags are not designed for tracking ... either people or pets. If that is your goal, you may want to consider getting a dedicated tracker that relies on GPS, not solely on Bluetooth.

Jul 27, 2023 1:41 PM in response to Dallas Clemmons

Should a neighbor come across it, and if the collar does not have a dog tag, you can make it easier for whoever finds it to return it to you by placing the tag into Lost Mode.

In case you weren't aware, this mode will allow you to provide the Finder with a limited amount of contact information to help them get a hold of you.

Of course, your AirTag must still be available on the Find My app's Items tab.

Ref: Mark an AirTag or other item as lost in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

Jul 27, 2023 11:28 AM in response to Dallas Clemmons

A few possibilities here:

1. None of the "passing" iPhones had both Bluetooth & "Find My Network" enabled. Note that the latter should be enabled by default, but some folks do not want their phones participating with this service.
  2. "Find My Network" was disabled on your phone.
  3. The AirTag's Bluetooth "beacon" sends out its location approximately every 10 mins.
  4. The AirTag was in a location that prevented it Bluetooth signal from traveling very far.
  5. The AirTag's battery is weak or exhausted. (They only have an expected lifespan of 1 year, but is dependent on environmental conditions.)
  6. This particular AirTag is defective.

Jul 27, 2023 9:46 AM in response to Dallas Clemmons

The address can only be updated if there is another iPhone nearby and it usually needs to be about 30 feet from the AirTag. If you are getting the Not Reachable message then there are no other devices nearby to transmit the play sound command. The accuracy of the location provided would be dependent on the device that is close to it. If the device has Location Services shut off or not using Precision Tracking, then the location returned may be from the nearest cell tower used for getting the location instead of the more accurate GPS location. I would suspect 1 of those 2 locations that are returned is the accurate location and if you get within the 30 foot range, it would update from your device and you should be able to play the sound. You have a limited amount of time to find it this way until the battery dies.

Jul 27, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Tesserax

Yes, thanks, and I understand about the tracking .But in this case, since the collar fell off the dog I'm no longer tracking anything. The item should be stationary. And even if it is pinging the location of the iPhones that come close to it (which would make sense since this is a neighborhood sidewalk that people use regularly) and not the AirTag itself--which would explain why the location on my map varies by about 150 feet from ping to ping--it doesn't answer why when I go there to look for it, it isn't there at all. (There's nowhere for it to be "hidden" at these locations. It's open sidewalk/street/front lawns.) I suppose though that it is possible that someone found the collar and took it into their house--that would be 30 or 40 feet away from the sidewalk--but then I'm not sure my phone doesn't pick it up....or why the neighbor didn't return it since my address and phone number are on the dog tag. Oh well. Thanks again for your help--things do make more sense to me now.

Jul 27, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks again for the quick reply--all suggestions are helpful. At this point it's just a mystery I'd like to solve! The battery should be good--it's only been in use a couple months. But since I'm walking slowly up and down that sidewalk and not getting pinged that its nearby (while apparently other folks with iPhones are), I'm going to assume that either the AirTag got damaged or it's buried somewhere underbrush (possibly 30 or 40 feet from the sidewalk locations would take it into the neighbor's backyards where there are likely shrubs etc...although by eyeballing it that looks like more than 40 feet). I've checked my settings and seem to be sharing my network etc but I'll look again at that too. Thanks again.

Jul 27, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Dallas Clemmons

I know the following is a stretch, but if you have ever used a "training" or "perimeter" collar with your dog, you know they will emit a beep ... or beep, then a mild shock. Each animal has their own "personality" and respond to these differently.

So, in this scenario, they may try to get rid of the collar with whatever method becomes available to them. Again, not saying this is what is happening here. It's just that your AirTag is designed to "beep" after a certain amount of time (around 3 hrs) of being separated from their host iPhone. The animal can be confused by this is all I'm saying ... and why I have been discouraging folks for using them with their pets and get a GPS tracker instead.

Jul 27, 2023 12:57 PM in response to Tesserax

Thanks, that is helpful info also. We have not used a training collar. What happened here is that the dog ran out of our backyard when a fence gate was open, we saw him after no more than 5-6 minutes had gone by but could see he did not have his collar on. He came home soon after we saw him and clearly had not gotten far beyond our cul-de-when he returned home. So I'm assuming somewhere he went into some shrubbery or something and the collar snagged and came off. You've helped me understand that the map locations are for the nearby phones and not the item, and even though I still don't know why my own phone won't ping it when I walk slowly up and down that sidewalk, and I think the backyard shrubs are very likely more than 40 feet away from the sidewalk, that still seems to be the likely scenario. Hopefully a neighbor will find it and return it!

AirTags "found" but not found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.