Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard System Extension?

I briefly tried using the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard app to get some lost files. As part of the installation, I had to give permission to run a system extension. I've deleted the app now, but can't find where to disable / remove that extension. I'm pretty certain this is a kext, rather than the "Extensions" listed under Privacy & Security in System Settings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm running Ventura 13.2.1, which has changed things around compared to earlier versions. The older help articles I've seen have pointed to options that no longer exist in both the Privacy & Security section of System Settings and the Startup Security Utility in Recovery Mode.

Any idea where I find and disable / remove that Easeus system extension? I don't like having unnecessary things running in the background, particularly when they could impact privacy or security.

Thanks!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 2:15 PM

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For Easeus Data Recovery Wizard software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains easels

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 2:15 PM in response to chasc

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For Easeus Data Recovery Wizard software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains easels

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 28, 2023 1:39 PM in response to chasc

chasc wrote:

I briefly tried using the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard app to get some lost files. As part of the installation, I had to give permission to run a system extension. I've deleted the app now, but can't find where to disable / remove that extension. I'm pretty certain this is a kext, rather than the "Extensions" listed under Privacy & Security in System Settings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm running Ventura 13.2.1, which has changed things around compared to earlier versions. The older help articles I've seen have pointed to options that no longer exist in both the Privacy & Security section of System Settings and the Startup Security Utility in Recovery Mode.

Any idea where I find and disable / remove that Easeus system extension? I don't like having unnecessary things running in the background, particularly when they could impact privacy or security.

Thanks!

For your third party app— If in doubt refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates/uninstall:

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref: https://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm

Mar 29, 2023 9:47 AM in response to chasc

You said you "deleted" the app. If an app installs an extension, then you must use the app's uninstaller to fully remove the app from the system. Sometimes one of the menus within the app may have an "uninstall" option, or if the app has a folder in the Applications folder, then the uninstaller may be there, or the uninstaller may be hidden within the actual application bundle (must right-click and show package contents). If you removed the app, then you may need to reinstall the app to get the option to uninstall. Some app installers, may also have an option to install or uninstall. Or the developer may provide a separate uninstaller app that must be downloaded. It is rare to have to manually delete extensions these days because of the difficulty with all the new security within macOS to prevent modification to system areas.

How do I remove the Easeus Data Recovery Wizard System Extension?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.