How can I unlock my Apple ID without the phone number I used to sign in

How can I unlock my iPhone Apple ID without the phone number I used to sign in

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone XS

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 10:33 AM

Did you read past the first post in this thread? I'll summarize for you. If you purchased a used iPhone, which is locked to owner, it is activation locked and the ONLY person who can unlock it is the owner the phone is locked to. If you don't know them or can't reach them, you own a totally, utterly useless iPhone you can NEVER use. Apple won't help you. We can't help you.

Either get the owner who locked the phone to remove activation lock, or return the phone for refund or recycle the phone responsibly.

Read this too --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

66 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 10:33 AM in response to destima

Did you read past the first post in this thread? I'll summarize for you. If you purchased a used iPhone, which is locked to owner, it is activation locked and the ONLY person who can unlock it is the owner the phone is locked to. If you don't know them or can't reach them, you own a totally, utterly useless iPhone you can NEVER use. Apple won't help you. We can't help you.

Either get the owner who locked the phone to remove activation lock, or return the phone for refund or recycle the phone responsibly.

Read this too --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Mar 28, 2023 11:32 AM in response to temitope279

Hello

The best step is to contact the original owner if possible to get them to remove device from there find my. How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support if unable to contact owner then the only other way is providing Proof of ownership documentation. Proof of ownership must include the product serial number, IMEI or MEID. you have it available https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support.

Hope this helps

Mar 28, 2023 11:37 AM in response to temitope279

Hello ~ Are you the original owner? That is the activation lock. If the person/persons that you bought the iPhone from cannot or will not remove it …the iPhone is basically useless to you. If they cannot/will not remove it…return it and get your money back. We cannot help remove it nor can Apple. Take a look here:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Also:

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a Used iPad/iPhone

~Katana-San~

Dec 18, 2023 1:50 PM in response to sharelle225

sharelle225 wrote:

How to locked to own

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally difficult to bypass. We can’t help, and Apple won’t help without being provided with convincing proof of ownership.

An iPhone or iPad with Activation Lock is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen device, if not actually lost or stolen.

Return it for a refund if the seller is still around, or recycle it. If you acquired this used and the seller has disappeared and as is all too common, then you got scammed, and now own an expensive and useless brick that’s eventually headed for recycling.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

For recovering access to your own Apple ID, if you are the holder of the Apple ID associated with the Activation Lock:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

Apple’s I Forgot Service

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Contact Apple for help with Apple ID account security - Apple Support

Jan 13, 2024 2:15 PM in response to SyedMashhood

SyedMashhood wrote:

My phone is disable from me i want to open my phone i give u all information of my phone like apple id apple id password old passcode but plz unlock my phone

Do NOT post your Apple ID or Password on a public forum visited by millions of people from around the world. We cannot unlock your phone. But you can by following the directions in this link, which requires erasing the phone using your computer with Finder (Mac) or iTunes (Windows) --> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

Jan 24, 2024 7:01 AM in response to sadip16

sadip16 wrote:

Plz sair
iPhone 6 iPhone locked to owner plz unlock
My iPhone iMEI …

Pretty much all iPhones are locked to the owner, too.

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally difficult to bypass. We can’t help, and Apple won’t help without being provided with convincing proof of ownership.

An iPhone or iPad with Activation Lock is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen device, if not actually lost or stolen.

Return it for a refund if the seller is still around, or recycle it. If you acquired this used and the seller has disappeared and as is unfortunately all too common, then you got scammed, and now own an expensive and useless brick that’s eventually headed for recycling.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying a used iPad/iPhone - Apple Community

For recovering access to your own Apple ID, if you are the holder of the Apple ID associated with the Activation Lock:

Apple’s I Forgot Service

How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Sep 10, 2023 10:35 AM in response to Dravedsharma

Dravedsharma wrote:

How to unlock my phone iPhone 11 locked your owner how to unlock

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally difficult to bypass. We can’t help, and Apple won’t.

This iPhone is indistinguishable from a lost or stolen device, if not actually lost or stolen.

Return it for a refund if the seller is still around, or recycle it.

If you acquired this used and the seller has disappeared as is all too common, you got scammed, and now own an expensive and useless brick that’s eventually headed for recycling.

The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Oct 25, 2023 5:02 AM in response to NabilAhmed1w

NabilAhmed1w wrote:

The iphone I bought it requires owners icloud and I have no access to contact to the owner what should I do
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/1a331b0a-86dc-4c9c-b9ac-6f098f7285d3

Either get your money back or recycle the phone. It is utterly, totally, completely useless to you.

Read this --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Oct 29, 2023 7:25 AM in response to uzairzahid567

uzairzahid567 wrote:

IPhone locked to owner remove

Activation Lock is an anti-theft measure designed to make stolen or lost phones useless to thieves, and to anyone else who might come into possession of those phones.

We cannot remove it for you.

Apple will not remove it for you, except in very limited circumstances (e.g., you are the original owner and you have proof-of-purchase documentation that is satisfactory to Apple).

If you are the person to whom the phone is locked, see:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Nov 13, 2023 1:50 PM in response to mce_chriss

mce_chriss wrote:

what if the original owner is known(a family member), apple id email is known also but forgot the password and the current apple device being used by this original owner is signed in with a different apple id email but the same phone number with the 'locked to owner iphone' .. how can we resolve this?

Apple’s I Forgot Service

Nov 21, 2023 9:47 AM in response to Ncub

Ncub wrote:

My iPhone says iPhone locked to owner and I forgot my passcode

Activation Lock is intended as a theft deterrent, and is intentionally difficult to bypass.

Which means this iPhone is effectively if not actually a lost or stolen device.

If you triggered lost mode and then recovered the iPhone, and forgot the unlock passcode, see the unlock sequence (Turn off Lost Mode on an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch) here:

Use Lost Mode in Find Devices on iCloud.com - Apple Support

If that doesn’t release the lock, you will have to discuss this directly with Apple.

We can’t help you, and—absent sufficiently convincing evidence of your ownership—Apple won’t.

Until and unless that lock is released, that iPhone will remain unavailable.

How can I unlock my Apple ID without the phone number I used to sign in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.