Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quick Look no longer works after the 13.3 update.

In Notes, I have a slew of gifs stored in different notes that I often view in with Quick Look, but this functionality is gone after the update. When I activate Quick Look from Notes, either with the menu command or the space bar, the wheel spins and spins and spins. My notes are stored in iCloud, but I have tried to use Quick Look with files on my local hard drive and I get the same response. Gifs animate as they normally do in Photos.

The same gifs in Notes (stored in iCloud) do animate with Quick Look on my iPhone 11 using 16.4.

I'm running a 2021 14" MacBook Pro (16 GB / M1 Pro with 10-core CPU and 16-core GPU), 13.3.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Does anyone have a solution to restore this lost functionality?

TIA,

Nathan

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 8:31 PM

Oh, thank goodness I’m not alone. This has been maddening all day.

I deal with GIFs and GIF-creation daily, so can confirm QuickLook is busted after 13.3 when playing GIFs (including Finder preview panes), and attempting to do so immediately breaks it.

Other image formats are fine, but as soon as you view a GIF (either via QuickLook or allow it to load into a Finder preview pane), after the GIF ends to begin its loop again, QuickLookUIService will hang (not responding) and the hang counter in Activity Monitor will start counting up indefinitely—breaking the functionality completely for all other images. The UI in the Finder will also start to choke and stutter.

I’m on a Mac Studio M1 Max.

I’ve tried all the suggested troubleshooting:

• Resetting and nuking the QL generator caches via terminal.
  • Nuking preferences and .plists.

I even loaded into Safe Mode and the problem persists and is reproduced in exactly the same way, so it is not some software conflict. I’m pretty sure Apple just accidentally busted QL this release and no one caught it.

Hopefully it can get sorted out quickly, it’s very frustrating.

In the meantime, you can kill it via Activity Monitor—or more quickly, just ⌥-Right-Click the Finder icon and Relaunch Finder.

Similar questions

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2023 8:31 PM in response to Nathan Walters

Oh, thank goodness I’m not alone. This has been maddening all day.

I deal with GIFs and GIF-creation daily, so can confirm QuickLook is busted after 13.3 when playing GIFs (including Finder preview panes), and attempting to do so immediately breaks it.

Other image formats are fine, but as soon as you view a GIF (either via QuickLook or allow it to load into a Finder preview pane), after the GIF ends to begin its loop again, QuickLookUIService will hang (not responding) and the hang counter in Activity Monitor will start counting up indefinitely—breaking the functionality completely for all other images. The UI in the Finder will also start to choke and stutter.

I’m on a Mac Studio M1 Max.

I’ve tried all the suggested troubleshooting:

• Resetting and nuking the QL generator caches via terminal.
  • Nuking preferences and .plists.

I even loaded into Safe Mode and the problem persists and is reproduced in exactly the same way, so it is not some software conflict. I’m pretty sure Apple just accidentally busted QL this release and no one caught it.

Hopefully it can get sorted out quickly, it’s very frustrating.

In the meantime, you can kill it via Activity Monitor—or more quickly, just ⌥-Right-Click the Finder icon and Relaunch Finder.

Mar 28, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Nathan Walters

I just dragged and dropped an animated GIF onto an existing Note and the first time that I clicked it and pressed the space bar, it showed animated in Quick Look. Any subsequent attempt to view in Quick Look was the spinning wait icon. Replacing that animated GIF, or substituing an animated PNG did not resolve the continuing Quick Look display issue.

Tested: macOS 13.3.

Apple's iOS/iPadOS is implemented differently than macOS and expected features may work in one operating system and not in the other.

You can submit direct feedback to the Notes for Mac product team about this flakey Quick Look support for animated GIFs and PNGs.

Mar 29, 2023 9:10 AM in response to Nathan Walters

Same here. Pressing the spacebar will loop an animated gif once and stop. If I click "open with Preview" the Finder locks up. I do have this free app called Photostickies from the Mac App Store that will open an animated gif just fine but I'm so used to using the spacebar. This is very frustrating. What do I do? Downgrade to Monterey?

I'm running a MacBook Pro M1 (and I still have a 2006 iBook G4 running MacOS 10.4 that actually works without a problem)

Mar 31, 2023 10:02 PM in response to Nathan Walters

It also happens in Apple's Messages app, when you double-click on a GIF. The Quick Look window opens, the GIF will play for half a second before freezing, then the Quick Look window and the rest of the Messaging app becomes unresponsive. So anything that uses Quick Look can crash if you try to Quick Look a GIF.

I've got multiple Macs and it happens on all of them. Mac Mini 2018, Mac Mini 2020, and MacBook Pro 13" 2020.

Mar 31, 2023 10:22 PM in response to dialabrain

If the same process in Finder is used in Messages and both are crashing when doing the exact same things, then how are these different issues? Seems more like the same issue among multiple programs, which is again, Quick Look, since it's not just exclusively used with Finder. So far, I have no issues with other image formats as far as I'm aware.

Apr 3, 2023 1:25 AM in response to Nathan Walters

Same here. Reported to Apple.

GIF-files in Finder cause the process to hang.

I wonder how something like this can slip through QA. Nobody noticed in the beta tests or was Apple not listening to bug reports? And does Apple not have automated regressions tests: For QuickLook the natural thing seems to open all supported file types.

But maybe the problem is not affecting everybody who uses GIF-files. Maybe another condition has to be met for the issue to occur. I wonder what that other condition could be though.

Apr 7, 2023 9:36 AM in response to nanoGUY

Yes, this will likely be fixed in the future.

(Apple deleted my reply because I acknowledged the existence of future software.)

MacWorld even lists this Quick Look issue as something they are aware of anecdotally in the community, so I’m gonna assume it’s extremely likely Apple is also aware.

Just gotta be patient for now and keep relaunching Finder or the hanging process in Activity Monitor when you run into it.

Quick Look no longer works after the 13.3 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.