Universal Control No Longer Working Between Macs after update to Ventura 13.3

I have 2 Macs, a 16" M1 MAX MacBook Pro and a 13" M1 MacBook Pro that previously worked utilizing Universal Control to control both machines. After updating both to Ventura 13.3 today, Universal control no longer works.

I've attempted multiple settings toggles and restarts of both machines including completely disabling the universal controls settings + Handoff controls on both machines and restarting both.

I've confirmed all settings are set as outlined in support documentation.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 5:37 AM

I logged out of iCloud account (Apple ID) on both iPhone and MacBook, logged back into iCloud on MacBook first then did so on my iPhone. After logging back in on iPhone the MacBook then requested my Apple ID password again (notification in settings) to "finish setting up Apple services", also requested phone password. Once this was all done clipboard started working again.

Similar questions

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 5:37 AM in response to theonecubed

I logged out of iCloud account (Apple ID) on both iPhone and MacBook, logged back into iCloud on MacBook first then did so on my iPhone. After logging back in on iPhone the MacBook then requested my Apple ID password again (notification in settings) to "finish setting up Apple services", also requested phone password. Once this was all done clipboard started working again.

Apr 5, 2023 2:17 PM in response to theonecubed

I opened a case with Apple to have this looked at. While discussing with an engineer, we weren't able to correct this. However, he suggested I create a new login on EACH computer, log in with these IDs and connect them to my AppleID. I did this and nothing changed. UC was enabled by default but not working. After a few minutes, I logged back in with my "regular" accounts.

After a few minutes of being logged back in, UC started working again! I suspect that there's something going on with UC and our AppleIDs but I can't say that with any certainty.

Best of luck to you all and I hope this fixes the problem for you.

Feb 14, 2024 12:56 PM in response to YogiHM

This worked for me! Thanks for relieving what had been a few hours of frustration. I did find that it was necessary to shut down the iPad and the Mac and start them back up again (I think I started the iPad first, but am not sure it would make any difference). Something to keep in mind for others: If you have several devices (Macs, iPads, iPhones) when signing back in to your Apple ID, you will be asked to provide your device credentials for each device you would like to sync. For example, I have an older MBP which is on the same Apple ID. I needed to enter the ID for my current MBP and the older one (as well as for iPhone, iPad, etc).

Now let's see how long it continues to work.

Mar 29, 2023 1:20 PM in response to theonecubed

I'm in the same boat and it finally came down to the same issue with my firewall as written by this reddit user: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/124v25i/comment/je6bngz/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

I had to re-enable the firewall on my Intel macBook, reboot it, toggle my WiFi/Bluetooth and Universal Control settings, then Universal Control popped back up in the firewall settings with incoming connections allowed, and started working again. Good luck!

Mar 30, 2023 10:49 AM in response to MacBooksForAll

Followed the instructions in the reddit thread but no help.

Every time I click on the Universal Control.app to launch in Macintosh HD>System>Library>CoreServices to reset the firewall I get the following message alert:

"The application “Universal Control.app” is not open anymore."

and the console app spits out the following upon inspection:

13:45:52.538827-0400 uiagent com.apple.launchservices handle LS launch error: {\n AppPath = "/System/Library/CoreServices/UniversalControl.app";\n ErrorCode = "-600";\n}

13:45:52.563499-0400 agent com.apple.universalcontrol keyFocus: deactivated by losing front-most status

13:46:20.191381-0400 CLinkD com.apple.rapport E93FCAFC.skipped.nilClientCnx: UniversalControl:671, ControlCenter:543,

13:46:20.191451-0400 CLinkD com.apple.rapport E93FCAFC.skipped.missingFlag.trustCircle: UniversalControl:671, ControlCenter:543, knowledge-agent:495, ContinuityCaptureAgent:523, homed:528, cloudpaird:787, UniversalControl:671, biomesyncd:672, homed:528, assistantd:668, sharingd:551, assistantd:668, rapportd:504, sharingd:551, assistantd:668, assistantd:668, ControlCenter:543, ... -1 more not shown

13:46:20.191507-0400 CLinkD com.apple.rapport E93FCAFC.skipped.statusControlFlagMismatch: UniversalControl:671, ControlCenter:543, knowledge-agent:495, ContinuityCaptureAgent:523, homed:528, cloudpaird:787, UniversalControl:671, biomesyncd:672, homed:528, assistantd:668, sharingd:551, assistantd:668, rapportd:504, sharingd:551, assistantd:668, assistantd:668, ControlCenter:543, ... -1 more not shownidentityservicesd:525, ... -15 more not shown

Mar 31, 2023 9:41 AM in response to jsubida

I'm experiencing what @ForeverTangent is seeing. I just updated BOTH my i7 MBP and M1 Air to 13.3. There are no updates available for Xcode, the firewall is not enabled on the MBP (the UC 'primary') and enabled by policy on the Air, e.g. I cannot disable it. I'm seeing the following ERROR in the Console when I try to launch UC from Finder

Process: CoreServicesUIAgent
Message: handle LS launch error: {\n    AppPath = "/System/Library/CoreServices/UniversalControl.app";\n    ErrorCode = "-600";\n}

Jun 21, 2023 8:58 AM in response to theonecubed

Apple ID Solution appears to Work (Log out > Log in).

After updating to Ventura 13.4, UC stopped working completely between an M1 Ultra Studio, M1 Max MacBook Pro & 2017 iMac Intel i7. Everything was perfect before.

After the update to 13.4, UC ceased to function for Apple (M) Chip devices. M Chips could then only connect to the iPad Pro, not to each other or the iMac. The iMac, however, COULD connect to each M Chip devices and the iPad Pro (ha!)..but then, it stopped too.

After several back-and-forth conversations with Apple Support, they could not correct the issue. I almost gave up until I discovered this thread. Attempting all the solutions here, the one that worked for me was simply Logging Out of Apple ID and Logging Back in. ...for good measure, I rebooted each device (iMac took longer), and they all started 'talking' to each other again.

Viola!

Jan 17, 2024 5:29 AM in response to theonecubed

I had problems using UC between two Macs where it randomly disconnected. My main Mac was connected to an external monitor to its right and to the right of the monitor was my other Mac.

I read an article saying that ideally the devices should be within 1 meter of each other. Mine were maybe 1,2 meters apart.

I tried moving the second Mac to the left side of the first Mac and Voila, everything works flawlessly.

Not saying this solves your problem but might be worth a try ...

Mar 28, 2024 9:39 PM in response to theonecubed

Here is what I did to fix it.

[ I was using universal control between my M1 MacBook Pro and iPad Pro. After I close the screen of MacBook and open again, the universal control was gone. I used to log-out & login my iCloud account to fix it, but this time I'd like to find an easier way. ]

I open System Settings and click my Apple ID at the top left corner. On the bottom of the right pane is Device which lists the devices bounded to my Apple ID. I click the iPad Pro and it will show the information of that device. Nothing to do here, except maybe just clicking the back arrow, and the universal control comes back quietly.

Very simple. No need to log-out/log-in your iCloud account.

You may try if this works for you.

Universal Control No Longer Working Between Macs after update to Ventura 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.