Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail rules workflow

I've been using rules for many years, but I never really dove deep into how they work. Today I decided to create a more robust system to filter all my messages and I would like some help.

According to this article, "Mail stops applying rules to a message when it encounters the Stop Evaluating Rules action", so for example let's say I have a custom mailbox named "Priority" and I have a rule that says:

All emails with "Priority" on the subject, move to the "Priority" mailbox.

After that I have a rule that says:

All emails from XYZ sender, delete them.

So if I don't add the "Stop Evaluating Rules" at the end of my first rule (to move to the "Priority" mailbox"), if a new email has "Priority" on the subject, but also comes from the XYZ sender, it will delete the email, right?

If I add the "Stop Evaluating Rules", then once it moves the email to the "Priority" folder, it won't even move on to the next rule, so even if an email has "Priority" on the subject and comes from XYZ email, it will only move the message to the "Priority" mailbox and stops there, right?

It seems to be similar to how the Hazel app works (for those familiar with it).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 8:07 AM

Rules are only applied automatically to incoming emails. Once an email is moved to other than the inbox rules are no longer automatically applied. If you want the email to be deleted, reverse the order of your rules provided in your above post.

Similar questions

1 reply

Mail rules workflow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.