Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time.apple.com sync

I am a radio amateur and am using digital modes with my Macbook Pro 2020. The latest Os Ventura is installed.

The time is syncing but it is always behind if I check it against time.is. I have tried numerous different NTP servers without any luck. It is mostly 0.2 seconds behind on all NTP servers. It cannot be internet latency. I have fast wifi namely fiber. 50Mb up and down.

I need some help, please.

I am residing in South Africa.

Regards

Jacques ZS1WC

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 1:15 PM

Other Ham operators have complained that waking a Mac from sleep takes an unknown amount of time to sync the clock with NTP and you can be off by several seconds until the time is actually updated. It used to be trivial to kick the timed process into gear and force an update but not anymore. Due to security changes in macOS you can't force timed to sync.

There is an alternative cross-platform open source solution with much greater control: chrony.tuxfamily.org

However, that requires compiling the daemon and configuring by hand.

Fortunately, there is a GUI solution called ChronyControl specifically for macOS that will install the chrony daemon and let you control it far more easily.

https://www.whatroute.net/chronycontrol.html

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2023 1:15 PM in response to JacquesZS1WC

Other Ham operators have complained that waking a Mac from sleep takes an unknown amount of time to sync the clock with NTP and you can be off by several seconds until the time is actually updated. It used to be trivial to kick the timed process into gear and force an update but not anymore. Due to security changes in macOS you can't force timed to sync.

There is an alternative cross-platform open source solution with much greater control: chrony.tuxfamily.org

However, that requires compiling the daemon and configuring by hand.

Fortunately, there is a GUI solution called ChronyControl specifically for macOS that will install the chrony daemon and let you control it far more easily.

https://www.whatroute.net/chronycontrol.html

Mar 29, 2023 4:05 PM in response to James Brickley

I have got it installed now, even when the Mac will be waked it would run auto and on a restart. Time is shows exact. Futhermore i am using software that is called SDR CONTROL. I will call CQ and check my DT time on Hamspots.com. I am aiming for a DT time of 0.0 or o.1 or 0.2 atleast. In general surely. I will update accordingly. Thank you for your help guys. Much appreciated.

Mar 29, 2023 2:39 PM in response to dialabrain

It's not the speed of Wi-Fi that's a factor nor Internet connect speed and bandwidth. The NTP protocol is super lightweight and efficient.

The problem is with the fact that the 'timed' daemon is not sync'ing the time immediately upon wake from sleep. There is little rhyme nor reason to when it updates. It will eventually update but the scenario is you wake the Mac from sleep and now your clock is off by seconds or milliseconds which completely messes with Ham operators when using a Mac to decode a stream of data. Ham operators need extremely precise clock time.

ChronyControl and it's included Chrony daemon will disable the built-in NTP 'timed' daemon from being able to update the system clock. Then it takes over the function and updates the clock in a more aggressive fashion. ChronyControl is frequently mentioned by Ham operators on their forums as solving the problem on macOS for them.

Time.apple.com sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.