Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder window background color resets to default after every update / upgrade

I've been experiencing this for a very long time, and was just curious if anyone else sees this happening.

I like to set the Finder window for Applications with a light purple background, and for Utilities with a light blue background, and both in icon view. Every time I do a system update (or a system upgrade):

• Both of those windows reset to list view and with the default background (I use Dark mode).
  • When I go to View Options in the Finder window, it is still set to Always open in icon view, even though it opens in list view after the update completes.
  • When I reset these Finder windows to my preferred colors, they persist without issue... until the next update.

I am fairly certain that this is not specific to Monterey, as this has happened for every upgrade since the OS version that came preinstalled on this computer (refurbished iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) that I got from the Apple Store in, I think, 2017).

It's not specific to this computer, either, because it happened on my previous computer (a MacBook Pro, 15", from 2008 or so) and also happens on my work laptop, a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what this is all about and why this would happen, or is this just a weird OS quirk that's not significant enough to be fixed? Thanks in advance.

Before upgrade:

After upgrade (and reset to icon view):

iMac 27″

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 8:03 AM

FWIW, that might be a difficult thing to test since one has to wait for the next update/upgrade.

In any case, you can drop Apple a line about the issue.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply

Finder window background color resets to default after every update / upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.