Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm getting a "the disk you attached was not readable by this computer" with no external devices plugged in except my keyboard and mouse.

For some context, I am on a 2017 iMac running Ventura 13.2.1. I have recently been trying to install Bootcamp, but have been greeted with countless errors and issues. I re-formatted my computer to allocate all 1TB back to MacOS, but am still met with this error message when logging in. When booting into recovery mode and selecting disk utility (after re-partitioning) three disks are shown; under internal, APPLE SSD SM0032L Media, MacOS (with drop-down menu showing volumes MacOS and MacOS-Data), and under Disk Images, disk2s1. I have already attempted to perform First Aid on all of them to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to get rid of this error and safely reinstall a working partition of Bootcamp with no errors?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 8:45 PM

Is it a split fusion drive?

How to fix a split Fusion Drive

If your Fusion Drive appears as two drives instead of one in the Finder, it's no longer working as a Fusion Drive. Here's how to fix it.

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

diskutil resetapple fusion join

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 1, 2023 1:38 PM in response to cohen184

Hi there!

In order to start diagnosing your Mac, we first need to know some information about it. 

First, please upload a screenshot of your Mac’s storage information. In the Finder, choose Go > Utilities, then double-click the Disk Utility icon. (Disk Utility is located in the /Applications/Utilities folder.) Alternatively, click Launchpad in the Dock, type Disk Utility in the search field, then click the Disk Utility icon. Once Disk Utility is open, take a screenshot of the information it automatically opens to, which will be your startup disk. Next, select View > Show All Devices in Disk Utility and select the top-level, non-indented, disk entry(s). In most cases, this name will be one of the following:

• APPLE HDD…
  • APPLE SSD...
  • Fusion Drive

Then, take a screenshot of the newly selected entry. Upload all screenshots here. 

Next, it is recommended you Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac in order to identify any potential issues. Let us know the results of this test. 

Jack

I'm getting a "the disk you attached was not readable by this computer" with no external devices plugged in except my keyboard and mouse.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.