Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator > Convert Audio File to Mp3 > need kbps higher than 160kbps

Hi Everyone,

I have set up automator in the following way:

1: Opened Automator

2: File > New > App

3: Chose 'Music' in Library list and chose 'Import Audio Files'

4: Chose 'Mp3 Encoder'

5: From Library List I chose 'Files and Folders' and selected 'Import Audio Files' in the list.

6: Saved as an App to Desktop.

When I drag and drop an audio file to the saved App on the desktop the audio file automaticalluy converts to mp3 160kbps.

I need to know how I can choose the kbps bitrate; I wanna be able to convert audio files to a bitrate higher than 320kbps.

I am willing to install an extra app if that is needed to make it work.

Can someone please explain the steps in Dummy language how to set it up?

I really prefer to use automator for mp3 conversion because I can drag and drop, the conversion goes really quick this way without having to open a program first.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks you very much.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 4:09 PM

I don't know what you can do to change that in the system.

You might be able to use ffmpeg through a run shell script action, but you'll have to find something that gives an example of how to encode as mp3 using ffmpeg. I've found it somewhat difficult to understand the API.

In the run Shell Script action, if you change to get input from Arguments, it will create a loop that processes each file submitted. You would change 'echo "$f"' to the ffmpeg command with the input to ffmpeg being "$f"

You can download a package installer for ffmpeg here (it is linked from the ffmeg.org website): https://evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/

There may be other ways to encode from the command line, maybe even using a built-in encoder, but I don't know what they might be.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2023 4:09 PM in response to klaoojie

I don't know what you can do to change that in the system.

You might be able to use ffmpeg through a run shell script action, but you'll have to find something that gives an example of how to encode as mp3 using ffmpeg. I've found it somewhat difficult to understand the API.

In the run Shell Script action, if you change to get input from Arguments, it will create a loop that processes each file submitted. You would change 'echo "$f"' to the ffmpeg command with the input to ffmpeg being "$f"

You can download a package installer for ffmpeg here (it is linked from the ffmeg.org website): https://evermeet.cx/ffmpeg/

There may be other ways to encode from the command line, maybe even using a built-in encoder, but I don't know what they might be.

Automator > Convert Audio File to Mp3 > need kbps higher than 160kbps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.