Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth won't allow me to pair my iMac with my iPhone

Has Apple discontinued pairing between iPhone and iMac Pro, please?

In my case iPhone 8 Plus running 16.4 with iMac Pro running 13.3?

I have restarted, reset, forgotten and reset everything in sight!

I still get this error: "Pairing Unsuccessful iMac Pro is not supported".

iPhone 7, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 2:29 PM

It never was supported (except for Hotspot).

Bluetooth pairing an iPhone and a Mac is not supported. 

If you are attempting to use Handoff/Continuity or AirDrop, that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. The following may help with Handoff/Continuity issues: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see Share files between your Mac and Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

And see the information in: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or … - Apple Community

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2023 2:29 PM in response to Mark Sealey

It never was supported (except for Hotspot).

Bluetooth pairing an iPhone and a Mac is not supported. 

If you are attempting to use Handoff/Continuity or AirDrop, that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. The following may help with Handoff/Continuity issues: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see Share files between your Mac and Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

And see the information in: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or … - Apple Community

Apr 2, 2023 2:42 PM in response to Mark Sealey

I haven't heard of that but the following from their website may help. https://www.houdah.com/type2Phone/

Get Started in 3 Easy Steps

• On your Mac, open System Preferences > Bluetooth. Make sure Bluetooth is on and discoverable. Leave System Presences open.
  • Start Type2Phone. Leave it running and frontmost.
  • On the iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth. Tap the name of your Mac to start the pairing procedure.

Please note: If your Mac and iOS device had been previously paired, you first need to undo the pairing on both ends. Have each device forget the other. Then go through the above procedure.

Apr 2, 2023 3:12 PM in response to FoxFifth

@FoxFifth,

Yes, that's what I have been doing; thanks for taking the time and trouble to go to their site and look it up. Nothing I can do - forgetting, resetting, restarting on both devices - will let them pair.

Usually, it takes about five minutes for 'iMac Pro' to appear in iOS 'Other Devices'. Occasionally - just very occasionally - I can get it into 'My Devices'. Then it invariably fails with:

Bluetooth won't allow me to pair my iMac with my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.