iOS 16.4 has broken HomeKit connections again

Experiencing a regression in the HomeKit connections with iOS 16.4 release, exactly as it was in iOS 15. There are certain connected devices (for me, that's Eve light strips and myQ garage door hub) that are not reachable 98% of the time. I must reset them to use them, they work once or twice for an hour, and then go offline once again. At or around the release of iOS 16, I set my Apple thread devices to have reserved IPs instead of dynamic IP addresses. So every Apple TV and HomePod had their own. That worked flawlessly up to the point of 16.4. All automations generally worked, things responded, and (most importantly) I never got the dreaded "no response" on devices. Since 16.4 the same old devices once again are always in "no response" mode. Super irritating to switch your entire smart home to Apple and have to deal with this a majority of the time!

HomePod mini

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 5:32 AM

I seem to have resolved the "no response" issue for now. I had to make each individual light/device have a static ISP as well, to prevent it. No idea what changed in iOS 16.4 that made it so I had to do that to keep these devices online, but that has resolved the issue for 24 hours now.

Similar questions

19 replies

Apr 4, 2023 8:22 PM in response to timbofosho

Ever since the update my devices are getting stuck updating for long periods of time. They also fail to connect very often. My Logitech circle doorbell is completely unable to connect. My Apple TV keeps duplicating it's name ie. Apple TV, Apple TV(2), Apple (TV3) etc. I cannot connect to any airplay devices either. I've done basic troubleshooting. Every thing has been updated and reset.

Apr 7, 2023 5:11 AM in response to timbofosho

Encountered similar problems with my Fibaro Thermostats in Homekit. After ios16.2 upgraded to the new architecture and reinstalling all Home devices everything worked fine again. With ios16.4 the Fibaro devices fail read/write operations. Although they are visible in my home, 'no response'.

Tried reinstalling all devices in a new HOME. Nothing worked sofar.

Apr 14, 2023 3:44 AM in response to timbofosho

I have a home & a cabin in different states, both with HomeKit, cameras, water sensors, included. Using HomePod Minis as hubs, I started the 16.4 update which has resulted in a perpetual download which has broken the previously working HomeKit. I cannot see or monitor ANTHING at either location, & I’m stuck out of state on business, unable to reboot or repair any of this remotely. HomeKit WAS working fine & previous updates worked with no problems. Since the HomePods didn’t update, I can’t update HomeKit, either. Fortunately, one location has older Lorex cameras still working flawlessly, but not the 8 new Eve & Logitech cameras using HomeKit. I can totally read & control my Netgear BlackHawk router remotely from my phone app, not Homekit.

Apr 17, 2023 8:33 PM in response to timbofosho

Just updated to new Architecture and 16.4.1 on all hubs.....Both HomePods were stuck on updating loop for 2 days....and 1 Apple TV was still on 16.4...noticed some things like MyQ, Hunter Simpleconnect, and Eve not responding. Updated last Apple TV to 16.4.1 and now entire HK unresponsive outside of Apple TV's. 57 total devices(Lutron, Hue, Nanoleaf, Eve, Ecobee, Etc) all are 'No Response' in Home App.

Apr 18, 2023 7:48 AM in response to timbofosho

Here's what finally worked for me, after much online research and trial and error.

Using HomePod mini would not work as a reliable hub, even after plugging it into the MacBook and restoring it to factory which automatically upgraded it to 16.4.1. So left HomePod mini unplugged from wall.

Also confirmed both Apple TV's were updated to 16.4, and unplugged from wall. Then manually reset Logitech Circle View camera to factory settings, and unplugged from wall. Unplugged Ecobee 5 thermostat from wall (which manually resets it to factory).

Deleted Home app, restarted modem and router (set modem to 2.4 instead of dual band with 5), reinstalled Home App. Did NOT reuse default name of My Home, set to new name right from the start (suspect there is a "hidden" profile somewhere for the Home names which can't be accessed and is causing mixed signals).

Plugged in one Apple TV and enabled it in Home app which made it the hub (only appliance plugged in). Intentionally did not use HomePod mini as hub, and made sure the HomePod mini was last appliance added to Home app.

After that added in the second Apple TV without complication, then the camera, and eventually the thermostat, and lo and behold everything worked properly since the release of 16.2. Last, added in HomePod Mini which worked as well (at least for the last 3 days).

My anecdotal take is that HomePod mini does not work well as hub for whatever reason. Also feel not using the default My Home profile (which I had used in the past) seemed to help, but who really knows.

What a time consuming misadventure. Here's hoping someday Apple will get serious with HomeKit. So far it's been a huge disappointment to me, and makes me regret leaving the Google/Nest ecosphere which was much more reliable.

iOS 16.4 has broken HomeKit connections again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.