Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (2009) smell/ 'leak'

👋🏻 Today I turned on my old iMac (about 2009 model) for the first time in several months. I noticed a hissing sound, like air/gas escaping, but what alarmed me was its toxic smell!  It started up normally & functioned ok.

My initial thought was the smell was a bit like gas, but I’m bemused what on earth could cause that in an iMac. 😲

Does anyone know what it could be?

iMac, 10.11

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 3:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 9:22 AM

After several months of disuse the odor is most likely due to an accumulation of airborne contaminants that settled upon components that become warm while in use. Turning the Mac on probably caused them to evaporate into the environment from which they came, and the resulting odor should now be gone.

Any electrical appliance can be affected that way. Normally those contaminants are not noticeable, and don't have sufficient time to accumulate within a device in routine use.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 9:22 AM in response to j.7

After several months of disuse the odor is most likely due to an accumulation of airborne contaminants that settled upon components that become warm while in use. Turning the Mac on probably caused them to evaporate into the environment from which they came, and the resulting odor should now be gone.

Any electrical appliance can be affected that way. Normally those contaminants are not noticeable, and don't have sufficient time to accumulate within a device in routine use.

iMac (2009) smell/ 'leak'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.